Re: A little something for everyone...

"Chris Malcolm" <cam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
He certainly has. I don't think anyone here would disagree with Kurt's
war against folk like that,

yet plenty do disagree openly.

the point at issue is simply finding the
enemy. It's easy in the heat of battle to make a mistake, as American
forces the world over have clearly demonstrated.

i certainly hope Kurt isnt in heat. Kurt may be involved in some flame wars
these days
but it wasnt how Kurt wanted it to be. Kurt usually starts off very
respectfully and from what i have seen will only insult those that insult
him.

t1's, t2's and non diabetics alike have the same nutrional needs.
if i had a hard time eating 200 carbs a day i would make it my business
become more active.
because lets face it - it isnt a lot of fuel for someone that does not
have
other conditions that limits their ability to be active.

Carbs are not the only fuel. Fats are so much more efficient a fuel
source than carbs that very active folk

yet you never see anyone that wants to finish a marathon eating bacon and
eggs before the big race.

who have to carry their food
supplies with them, such as mountaineers,

mountaineers usually got their food in the mountains. plenty of fat and
protien running around in the mountains and unless you find a bear that just
ate a couple of chinese campers you wont find much fried rice.

find it very hard to meet
their fuel requirements with mostly carbs.

not many loafs of bread running around in the mountains.

Also the human body can
easily make carbs from protein.

i take it you already know what would happen to a mountain man that has only
eaten rabbit.
newbies might want to look up what will happen.

When I was a young teenager my sister and I cycled about 600 miles in
ten days. For breakfast we usually had two eggs, two slices of bacon,
two sausages, all fried in butter, and a slice of bread thickly spread
with butter and marmalade.
Then we'd cycle about 30 miles. For lunch
we'd usually eat a tin of cold creamed rice pudding by the side of the
road.

i was also very active when i was younger, playing just about any sport and
pretty good at most.
in the 7th grade i had the school record for the 50 yard dash.

Then we'd cycle another 30 miles. For dinner we'd usually eat a
50-50 mix of corned beef and baked beans, sometimes followed by
fruit. I think for what we were doing that would today be considered a
low carb diet.

i dont think many beans are popular on low carb diets.

There was nothing unusual in it in those days (1950s)
as food for active folk. The conventional wisdom then was that active
folk needed big greasy fry ups to keep them going.

not many trainers would give that to their trainees and expect them to win.

i think that is
another problem that Kurt and others have here. you have more than a few
who do have other conditions that limit their ability to live a normal
life
but leave that out when they say "OMG thats alotta carbs" then there are
those with other conditions. i have not seen to many people that only
had
diabetes that couldnt handle carbs.

"Can't handle carbs" is a bit vague, and rather extreme, because
there's nobody here (or anywhere else) who doesn't eat some
carbs.
H'ever, I consider myself a low carber because a low carb diet
is in general the closest well-known approximation to how I eat, and
the low carb dietary perspective seems best to explain how I react to
various kinds and amounts of food. In fact I went low carb before I
even knew I was diabetic (although I very likely was just an
undiagnosed diabetic then)

as soon as i was diagnosed i started low fat and increased activity. I got
off all medications and can not eat the amount of carbs that would appear to
shock most here.

, simply because I tried it and I pretty
immediately felt a lot better. I just got stricter (guided by my
BG meter) after being diagnosed.

I prefer the term "low spike diet" to "low carb diet", because lots of
folk get confused by the fact that you can eat a lot of carbs if
you're very physically active because it's a relative "low" rather
than an absolute. I can't handle any carbs for breakfast,

breakfast is not a problem at all for me. if it was i would make certain
that i did some kind of walking after eating.

with the
exception (as far as I've yet discovered) of a rather small amount of
baked beans if eaten along with plenty of protein and fats. When I'm
not taking exercise I can't handle any but very small amounts of high
GI carbs, and only rationed amounts per meal or snack of low GI carbs.

i include fats and protien in all my meals, snacks are another story and
change from day to day.

As far as I know I don't have any non-diabetic health issues, apart
from some mild arthritis which doesn't stop me from being a lot more
active than most of my age.

todays diabetics are getting younger and younger and can be much more active
then people twice their age.

I'm puzzled by your remark that you haven't seen too many T2s without
other health issues that "couldn't handle carbs", because there seem
to be quite a few T2s here who are low carbers and whom I don't recall
having other relevant health issues.

key words here are "dont recall" and "relevant" i have been here for 4
years.
some of the most out spoken supporters of low carb here have.
issues that make them choose to use a wheel chair to get around.
have a hard time standing for more than 20 minutes.
Cancer
Mental illnesses.
ones mood does have an effect on blood sugar levels and knowing you have
cancer can mess with your head.

Perhaps you mean you don't meet
many low carbing T2s in real life?

the ones i meet in real life appear to be more healthy then those in here.
most of active jobs and are more active.

I certainly haven't met any yet. In
fact I haven't met any real low carbers yet, because I don't count
folk who low carb as a temporary crash diet to lose weight.

i met one low carb biker.. what a pain in the ass this guy was.
he would complain every time he seen me put a slice of ham on half a whole
wheat pita bread.

I *have* met several T2s suffering from seriously disabling diabetic
complications, and I do suspect that a lot fewer carbs would have
helped those folk.

they probably would have done better if they ate less carbs, fats and
protien and
been more active.
i dont know to many that crave carbs as it is put here. most of the time
someone gets the munchies
it is usually carbs fat and protien that they want.
i cant remember the last time i had a wish sandwich.. what is a wish
sandwich?
its when you have 2 slices of bread and you wish you had some meat to put
inbetween them.
not to mention cheese and mayo.

Tom

  • Re: "junk" food for diabetes
    ... Slice it, eat it. ... Nice snack, low carbs, and it is ... The big problem is that you have to chose between carbs, proteins, and fats. ... Low carb icecream is out there too. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Acceptable levels of carbs-fats
    ... As far as the question of which of us is in better health, ... i do eat my low carb veggies, about 15 carbs worth per meal is what I shoot ... probably end up on a very high fat diet. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Acceptable levels of carbs-fats
    ... As far as the question of which of us is in better health, ... i do eat my low carb veggies, about 15 carbs worth per meal is what I shoot ... probably end up on a very high fat diet. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: A little something for everyone...
    ... :>> Roger, low carb is an objective measure, no matter how active you are. ... not that it's a fixed weight of carbs. ... :>> the most typical low carb threshold cited by Lyle McD in his review of the ... :> differing levels of carbs based on activity level? ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: A little something for everyone...
    ... I think the problem that Kurt and others have with low carb is with those on ... war against folk like that, the point at issue is simply finding the ... if i had a hard time eating 200 carbs a day i would make it my business to ... we'd usually eat a tin of cold creamed rice pudding by the side of the ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)