Re: what is the real range of numbers for the FBG?

kohlrabi_croce wrote:
Jenny wrote:
kohlrabi_croce wrote:
The ADA says pre-diabetes is between 100 and 126,
for the FBG or FBS, so I think I'll go with that. Ok,
pre-diabetic it is.

The ADA's number was chosen arbitrarily by a group of "experts" who
admitted that their goal was to keep people from being diagnosed as
diabetic until they were close to the level where they had to start
worrying about going blind. This is all documented on my web page at

Misdiagnosis by Design
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046782.php

yes, I looked at that....hmm.

You said something on there about "the commitee gets
rid of pre-diabetes." It doesn't look to me like they are
trying to keep people with pre-diabetes from doing something
about it:

http://www.diabetes.org/pre-diabetes/faq.jsp

And I quote:

Q: Why do I need to know if I have pre-diabetes?

A: If you have pre-diabetes, you can and should do something about it.
Studies have shown that people with pre-diabetes can prevent or delay
the development of type 2 diabetes by up to 58 percent through changes
to their lifestyle that include modest weight loss and regular
exercise. The expert panel recommends that people with pre-diabetes
reduce their weight by 5-10 percent and participate in some type of
modest physical activity for 30 minutes daily. For some people with
pre-diabetes, intervening early can actually turn back the clock and
return elevated blood glucose levels to the normal range.

Somewhere on my pages you'll also find a discussion of how blood sugar
deteriorates where you'll see a study that found that the fasting blood
sugar stays mildly impaired sometimes for years and then suddenly starts
to deteriorate very swiftly, and when that happens, the post meal
control deteriorates very swiftly too. in short, you've burnt out your
last reserve of beta cells by the time your fasting blood sugar starts
to approach 120 mg/dl.

So the smart thing to do is to stop that destructive process before the
fasting is so bad that you are killing beta cells both fasting and
post-prandially.

yes, I hope to try.

Tracy

Thanks for posting the ADA cite, Tracy. You will find that many in
here, Jenny being one of the main haters, will discredit the ADA and
misrepresent them at every turn. But there are a few of us in here who
realize the important work they are doing.

Best of health to you.

Kurt

.