Re: Question about testing

On 14 Mar 2006 09:20:34 -0800, "hilbert" <hilbertd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Susan:

Glucerna meal bar (oatmeal raisin)
Cal 220 (fat cal 50)
Total Carbs 35 g (dietary fibre 2g, Sugars 14g, Sugar Alcohols 5g)
Protein 10g

Is 35 g of carbs too high for a meal bar ?

In a word, yes, it's too high for the vast majority of T2's, as your
meter proved. Your meter is by far the best way to figure out what you
can eat.

Glucerna is a bit of a hot-button issue with me: they market it as
"for people with diabetes" yet it's loaded with carbs, including
sugars! Personally, I think they would be just fine if they changed
their slogan ever so slightly: "Glucerna, for people who want to get
diabetes..".

I've seen regular meal bars that are healthier, and far cheaper. My
own preference is for a low-carb protein bar, with about 2g net carbs.

  • Re: Question about testing
    ... Glucerna meal bar (oatmeal raisin) ... Protein 10g ... Is 35 g of carbs too high for a meal bar? ... For half the carbs you could have had half an apple and some cheese, for example, or a cup of berries and some nuts; some high fiber rye toast and almond butter. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)