Mahvelous Mushrooms

Did anyone grow these mushrooms .. ?
You've had many months .. since the recommendation ..
With straw you get big honking mushrooms and on flour many smaller
mushrooms ..

Antioxidants in wild mushrooms.
Ferreira IC, Barros L, Abreu RM.
CIMO-ESAB, Instituto Politécnico de Bragança,
Campus de Sta. Apolónia, 1172, 5301-855 Bragança, Portugal.
iferre...@xxxxxxx

Maintenance of equilibrium between free radical production and
antioxidant defences (enzymatic and non enzymatic) is an
essential condition for normal organism functioning.
When this equilibrium has a tendency for the production of free
radicals we say that the organism is in oxidative stress.
In this situation, excess free radicals may damage cellular lipids,
proteins and DNA, affecting normal function and leading to various
diseases.
In aerobic organisms, the free radicals are constantly produced
during the normal cellular metabolism, mainly in the form of Reactive
Oxygen Species (ROS) and Reactive Nitrogen Species (RNS).
Exposition of the organism to free radicals has led to the
development
of endogenous defence mechanisms to eliminate them.
These defences were the response of evolution to the inevitability of
ROS production in aerobic conditions.
Natural products with antioxidant activity may help the endogenous
defence system.
In this perspective the antioxidants present in the diet assume a
major
importance as possible protector agents reducing oxidative damage.
Particularly, the antioxidant properties of wild mushrooms have been
extensively studied by our research group and by others, and many
antioxidant compounds extracted from these sources have been
identified, such as phenolic compounds, tocopherols, ascorbic acid,
and carotenoids.
We will review the compounds identified so far in mushrooms, as
well as the mechanism of action involved in their antioxidant
properties.
Wild mushrooms might be used directly in diet and promote health,
taking advantage of the additive and synergistic effects of all the
bioactive compounds present.

PMID: 19355906

Who loves ya.
Tom