Re: Up-date on Me... Not a good day or month at all...

Dear Andrea

You have no idea how I agonized after hitting "send". I tossed and turned
all night and some may think it's taking things in here too seriously, but
the last thing I want to do is hurt someone who's already in pain. And hurt
someone that I like. But you know I wouldn't have gotten on my "high-horse"
if I didn't care.
Sometimes we do have to walk a long way through hell to find a little
relief. Sometimes the break in period on these drugs takes more than a
couple weeks and if you have to suffer for a bit through some nasty side
effects to get to the pain relief on the other side, you have to do it.
Millions on chemotherapy do it every day. And if it's an option to surgery,
even if it's an absurd option (paint yourself dayglo green for the day) you
should give it a shot. (I don't think we'll hear any suggestions from the
day-glo crowd, though)
You have personal reasons and I wouldn't dream of asking you to go in to
them. But you also have opportunity which many are denied. All I ask is that
you weight them both in your mind equally and be sure you are not cheating
yourself. The reason for the use of these drugs is self evident, you are in
agony and it burned in every word of your original post, in great big heavy
letters over and over. Be sure you give those words the weight they deserve,
in comparison to your reasons for not using these medications. I wish there
was a gray area to this decision.
Maybe there is, in just using the short acting varieties on an as needed
basis. If they knock you on your butt, well that's where you need to be when
you are in pain, and you get to pick the where and when, so it's not
constant. No one should have to deal with it 24/7, if the opportunity can be
found for at least a small break.
In a way you're lucky. The morphine based drugs I have tried have been
ineffective at all reasonable doses, it's almost an immunity. I do know they
work when it's through an I.V., but that's not much help around the house.
There are a lot more morphine based long actors than any of the other
medications. Kadian, Avinza, MS Contin are all relatives. And even with all
the other odones or orphones the body turns them all to morphine anyhow (and
that's a general statement, I believe Dilaudid and probably it's big brother
Opana, remain morpones till the liver filters and the kidneys dumps them. A
baby OpanaER (I forget the smallest size) might turn the trick or an as
needed baby dilaudid, I THINK 1mg, 2mg, 4mg and the big daddy 8mg are
available, may serve you well. They sure to try to supply a size for every
size of pain, and you can bust them in half and make your own size, if need
be.
All I'm trying to do is give you some options, some way to fight back at the
pain. As always the choice is yours, but please consider something. You can
make actual permanent chemical changes to your brain with untreated chronic
pain, so there's much more to it than just hurting.
Sorry again for getting so- I don't know what you'd call it but I was
definitely full of it in the last post (which about says it all, and even
suggests a name for it).
Be as pain free as you can, and if I can do anything to help ( and last
night was not that) just say the word.

Take Care--og