Re: The idiocy of three divisions

Alson Wong wrote:

"Dewey" <dewey3kNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:Xns97A8765D9F995dewey3kNOSPAMgmailco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So, Denver can finish, at best, one game ahead of the Lakers. But they get
seeded 4 spots higher because they play in the shittiest division in the
league? Makes sense to me.

Even better, the Clippers and Grizzlies have an incentive to lose when they play each other tomorrow to get the sixth seed and HCA against Denver instead of the fifth seed and a matchup against Dallas. There was no good reason to go to three divisions instead of two. As MB mentioned, three divisions make more sense if there's an unbalanced schedule, as there is in baseball.

Though I don't like the way it's being employed with regard to playoff priviledges, I like the 3-division alignment because in order to have a healthy league, you need as many teams as possible feeling that they have a shot at SOMETHING, be it a division championship or the playoffs in general. I don't want to see one big 30 team glob in my sports page, and even two 15-team conferences need to be broken up. Now, as it happens, I also happen to like symmetry, and eight teams in one division is over my limit. But, these are my own personal preferences.

I'd prefer to see them make the 3-division thing work by tuning up the schedule and the playoff rules. For one, I think that this Clipper-Grizz thing situation would be of less impact if the division winners were all given homecourt over the lower seeds. Seems unfair to some, but hey, they won a division, and the truly better team can just go and win on the road. As it is, the Clips and Grizz players aren't just playing for an easier matchup, but you've got the organizations behind them feeling a vested interest ($$$$$$$) in losing to get an extra home game. Take that factor out of it.

Besides, there are other things in sports that are far less fair than idea above. Just look at how they choose the home team for the World Series.

  • Re: The idiocy of three divisions
    ... the Clippers and Grizzlies have an incentive to lose when they ... play each other tomorrow to get the sixth seed and HCA against Denver ...
    (alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers)
  • Re: OT: NFL Midseason Report(Always Looking for Feedback)
    ... How can you not mention Champ Bailey for Defensive player!!! ... in the league. ... and a nondescript defense that ranks 10th in the NFL. ... to play. ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: ULTIMAXX BID DEADLINE NOV 17TH...4 MORE DAYS!
    ... the two seperate groups here in wilmington are 'cape fear ultimate' ... and cape fear has been, obviously, cape fear/keel haul.... ... was at some time invited to play with the original groups....but opted ... but now-a-days....i can't tell a difference at league games between what ...
    (rec.sport.disc)
  • Re: Curving an object ball? (Continued)
    ... I also would not play in a league that used funky heavy magnetic or huge CB's either. ... It doesn't come up too often in my Monday night league where it only is in effect on the 8 ball, and moreover, the league allows two players to play by Tuesday night league rules if both players agree. ... I still have some misgivings about such a tiny, tiny amount of mass having such a dramatic effect on on things. ...
    (rec.sport.billiard)
  • Re: Dropping moral
    ... He's also fairly chummy with the League Operator... ... Play well, and have fun. ... We play 8 ball and we're kinda' close. ... I feel like the guy just hustled me, but we're playin' for fun. ...
    (rec.sport.billiard)