Re: The Yankees have no choice!

"Zod" <jt@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:oYCdnSKd3IXTxszanZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Leon Lussier" <RedSoxTres8@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:6917-47515231-278@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Admit it guys, the Twins have you over a barrel. You don't have a
number one starter. You can't go into the 2008 season against the Red
Sox who have the best pitcher on the planet in Josh Becket. If you
think 2007 was a disappointment, just wait until 2008. You have to give
up Hughes and Cabrara. The Twins have to trade Santana before he
becomes a free agent, but the Twins don't have to deal with the Yanks.
There are several teams that want to trade with them. If you want to be
relevant this year, bite the bullet and trade some of your young talent.
Who knows, maybe Hughes will never develop into anything special after
all.

What barrel? Keeping Hughes, Kennedy, and Joba seem like a good deal to me, and it would cost nothing. Also, I would challange your theory about 2008. However, if the cost of SUSTAINED suceess is the growing pains of one year, so be it. Making moves based on another team's intended moves is bad business. Cashman has set out on a so far very sucessful rebuilding of our recruiting and minor league systems. Let the system work, the rest will take care if itself. This is a bad, bad, trade.

This might be the first time I can recall the fans of BOTH teams having such doubt about acquiring a great player. Both sides have many rooting for the other to *win* the bidding. Both teams may very well be more interested in simply driving up the price for the other (others?).

I think the Sox and Yanks would be wise to keep their own prospects, rather than pay a ridiculous price for one year of this guy...and make no mistake...that's what this is...and the first crack at signing him long term. I do mean long term...it will take a lot of years...and for a pitcher...very risky IMHO.

  • Re: The Yankees have no choice!
    ... Sox who have the best pitcher on the planet in Josh Becket. ... There are several teams that want to trade with them. ... maybe Hughes will never develop into anything special after ... Among intelligent fans, I don't see many who are excited about trading top talent for Santana and a 5-6 year deal at a market-setting salary. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.ny-yankees)
  • Re: The Yankees have no choice!
    ... Sox who have the best pitcher on the planet in Josh Becket. ... There are several teams that want to trade with them. ... maybe Hughes will never develop into anything special after ... recruiting and minor league systems. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.ny-yankees)
  • Re: What money flexibility will they have this off seasom ???
    ... like Ramirez for Kennedy, Figgins, Kotchman, and Shields, just because ... That's not THAT bad a trade. ... If he develops, the Sox ... He won't be as good a hitter as Manny Ramirez (because over time, ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Re: What money flexibility will they have this off seasom ???
    ... <snip of stuff on trades involving Manny Ramirez and the Angels> ... That's not THAT bad a trade. ... If he develops, the Sox ... a quality player comparable to Ramirez. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Re: First Beckett & Lowell, now Gonzalez?
    ... I still say trade Wells to SD for Otsuka. ... If the Sox want a lefty ... Shoppach to them(instead of to Texas for Gonzalez) for LHP Ron Villone. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)