Re: When Beltran Returns

On Jun 14, 12:39 pm, jonathan <jmeri...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jun 14, 7:43 am, KathyGlickstern <glcks...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jun 13, 10:57 am, Dean <DeanAlli...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

All the articles I read do a good job of basically saying we have no
idea of when this guy will return.  However, none really discuss the
changes that must accompany his return.  Who goes down, who sits.
Fortunately for us this is not a simple answer.  Francour, Pagan, and
Bay all have earned a place at the table.

Any thoughts.

At what table has Frenchy earned a place -- the last supper?

Or, do you imagine .325/.424 is an acceptable line for a corner
outfielder?

Wow - you know, I posted without looking from memory . . . and didn't
realize how pathetic it really was.

Strawberry left after the 1990 season.

That broke up the following 4 year McReynolds/Strawberry run:

1987
McReynolds - 151 G / .813 OPS
Strawberry - 154 G / .981 OPS

1988
McReynolds - 147 G / .832 OPS
Strawberry - 153 G / .911 OPS

1989 - Still not sure what was in the water in 1989 - weird year - to
be fair both had 125 OPS+ - offense was down in 1989
McReynolds - 148 G / .775 OPS
Strawberry - 134 G / .779 OPS

1990
McReynolds - 147 G / .808 OPS
Strawberry - 152 G / .879 OPS

Since then, the following Mets corner OF have played 145 games and
posted an .800+ OPS.

1996 - Bernard Gilkey - 153 G / .955 OPS
1997 - Butch Huskey - 142 G / .822 OPS (I'm cheating)
1999 - Roger Cedeno - 155 G / .804 OPS
2005 - Cliff Floyd - 150 G / .863 OPS

I cheated to get Huskey in there.  There wasn't anybody else really
close enough to cheat with.  That's it . . . 4 guys in 20 years.  4
guys from 40 possible season slots.  That's 10%.  That's horrific.  No
wonder Jeff Francouer looks good by comparison.  There's an entire
generation of Mets fans who has never seen a corner OF who can
hit . . .

I just randomly picked a team -- the Dodgers -- and found 19 instances
of a corner OF topping .800 OPS in the last 20 years.

  • Re: When Beltran Returns
    ... changes that must accompany his return. ... be fair both had 125 OPS+ - offense was down in 1989 ... the following Mets corner OF have played 145 games and ... posted an .800+ OPS. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets)
  • Re: When Beltran Returns
    ... changes that must accompany his return. ... posted an .800+ OPS. ... generation of Mets fans who has never seen a corner OF who can ... hit. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets)