Martinez Not Ready To Pitch

The NY Post reports that Mattinez is not ready to pitch. My guess is
that he will go on the DL until after the All-Star game. I want to see
Pelfrey stay in the minors to work on his braeking pitches but I would
rather see him come up for one start than have to watch Lima. Lima has
given up 11 HRs in 74 innings to minor league hitters. I think the
Marlins might pay us to let Lima pitch.

Ed D

http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/pedro_may_get_shelf_service_mets_dan_martin.htm

July 6, 2006 -- Pedro Martinez's return to the rotation stalled again
yesterday, when the right-hander decided he wasn't physically ready to
throw before the game.

"He just didn't feel right," Willie Randolph. "He changed his mind."

While both the manager and GM Omar Minaya downplayed Martinez's lack of
activity, it appears he took another step closer to the disabled list
with his inflamed hip.

"It's just discomfort," Minaya said before the Mets played the Pirates
last night at Shea. "We'll evaluate him more when he throws again."

Minaya expected that to be today, but he wasn't certain whether
Martinez would have a bullpen session or just long toss. He also said
that Martinez won't throw tomorrow.

In addition, the GM sounded as if he was more willing to give the
22-year-old Mike Pelfrey a shot if Martinez isn't able to pitch this
weekend, when the Mets have a doubleheader on Saturday against the
Marlins.

"I'm a little more open to it now than I was earlier in the season,"
Minaya said of Pelfrey, who is 4-2 with a 2.71 ERA in 12 starts since
being promoted to Double A Binghamton following four starts at Single A
St. Lucie in his first full year of pro ball. "He's one of the guys
we've been considering all along, but early on, I was resistant to the
idea because he was a college pitcher. Now, he's thrown almost 100
innings as a pro now."

Pelfrey's fate in the near future largely depends on what Martinez
tells the Mets in the coming days.

"It's always up to Pedro and how he feels and what he tells us,"
Randolph said. "This is nothing drastic, it's just a day. Whatever
Pedro wants to do is what we'll do. The main thing is to get him back
on the mound."

In the meantime, Randolph's options include lefty Darren Oliver, who
has been used primarily as a long reliever this season, and Jose Lima,
recently recalled after pitching horrendously in his first stint with
the Mets earlier this year.

  • Fernando Martinez Article
    ... 19-year-old phenom Fernando Martinez blazing a trail toward Shea ... If he gets the call up to the Mets, ... When Minaya, three months into his tenure as GM, signed Pedro Martinez ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets)
  • Re: Rotation changes.
    ... Zambrano will pitch at home on ... Monday and during the weekend they will decide who pitches on Tuesday (I ... Now if they could only place Beltran on the DL so they can have a full ... but the Mets will start taking a close look at Triple-A ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets)
  • Mets Maine could reportedly be shut down with shoulder woes
    ... The Mets have a plan for Pelfrey ... I think we are about to see Stokes pitch down the stretch. ... Maine has been battling a bone spur in his right shoulder but has ... "You have a young pitcher who's 27 years old, ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets)
  • Re: Willie logic
    ... This pitch count sh!t is killing the Mets and its bullpen. ... Willie is an idiot for yanking Feliciano. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets)
  • Re: Pedro is a quitter!
    ... >> JK Sinrod wrote: ... >>> If he was healthy he would pitch even if out of the race. ... >> formally affiliated with the Mets. ... pitching is not a healthy activity. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets)