Re: Piazza agrees to one-year, $2M deal with Padres

In article <BCbDf.1424$uD5.889@xxxxxxxx>,
Chaz <gomets2005@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2311295
>

> Piazza agrees to one-year, $2M deal with Padres
>
> Associated Press
>
> SAN DIEGO -- All-Star catcher Mike Piazza agreed Sunday to a $2 million,
> one-year free agent contract with the San Diego Padres, giving the
> defending NL West champions a marquee player they think can still
> contribute.
>
> Piazza, 37, had considered joining an AL team as a designated hitter,
> but instead will return to the West Coast for the first time since the
> Los Angeles Dodgers traded him to the Florida Marlins in 1998.
>
> The deal includes a mutual option for 2007 at $8 million.
>
> Even with Piazza's production at the plate declining, his 19 homers with
> the New York Mets last season were more than any Padres player hit.
> Piazza holds the major league record for most career home runs by a catcher.
>
> "The Padres told Mike that he could pretty much catch as much as he
> wanted to," said Piazza's agent, Dan Lozano.
>
> Piazza is hoping to catch about 90-100 games this season, along with
> playing some first base and being the DH in interleague games.

It will be interesting to see how many games he actually catches and how
well he does at the plate and keeping runners at first.

I will be surprised if at the end of the year I find that letting him go
was big mistake.

To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

  • Re: Piazza takes huge pay cut to become a Padre
    ... Padres garb, it is better then Mike playing for the Yankees. ... > Piazza agrees to $2 million deal with Padres ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets)
  • Re: Piazza agrees to one-year, $2M deal with Padres
    ... >> Piazza agrees to one-year, $2M deal with Padres ... >> one-year free agent contract with the San Diego Padres, ... >> playing some first base and being the DH in interleague games. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets)
  • Piazza takes huge pay cut to become a Padre
    ... Piazza agrees to $2 million deal with Padres ... By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer ... hit 18 for San Diego, which struggled to the division title before ...