Re: Heilman:Wants To Start Or Traded

mrbrklyn wrote:
> By that St Louis game he was 4.35 ERA, dented mostly by the first start
> which he followed up with this.
>

> Apr. 15 FLA W 4-0 9.0 1 0 0 0 3 7 11 7 107 30 89 W(1-1) - 3.21
>
> Apr. 20 @FLA L 9-2 4.0 11 7 7 1 1 3 9 4 75 24 14 L(1-2) - 6.00 ( bad
> outing)
>
> Apr. 25 ATL W 5-4 7.0 2 1 1 0 1 5 11 6 96 24 73 W(2-2) - 4.68(turns it
> around 7 innings one hit in Atlanta)
>
> May. 1 @WAS W 6-3 6.0 4 3 3 0 5 5 5 4 101 25 52 - - 4.65 (Average 6
> innings 4 hitter)
>

> In fact, he only started 7 games in total and it was made clear that he
> was heading back to the pine even with the vastly improved
> performances.

7 starts. In 3 of them he stunk, 2 of them he was average, and 2 of
them he was brilliant. Come on! He was more bad then good. At best
he was mediocre.

> the May 5th game he won in relief, on short rest.
>
> He followed that up throwing shut out ball on the 6 against the cubs
> until the 6th inning, probably a result of being the pen and getting
> tired.
>
> and the got roughed up in a spot start against St Louis. Big Deal.
> Its St Louis and he was working out of the pen at that time.
>
> If they would have left him in the rotation he would have kept
> imporving as a starter.

Again . . . you have no real factual evidence for that beyond two
starts. I have three starts that says he can't be. This is completely
your opinion.

The only thing he proved was that he wasn't
> good at spot starting on short rest after throwing in the pen.

Very few pitchers are. I never liked the idea of a spot starter. Get
5 guys and stick to them.

> In fact, as the season went on, you rarely saw Heilman warmed up in the
> pen if he wasn't coming in for a few innings. Randolf seemed to have
> learned that Heilman couldn't get up and down often and then work well.

Don't go on what you remember . . . LOOK and see what ACTUALLY
happened. Heilman pitched 6 times on no rest and had a 1.35 ERA. In
August, at one point, he pitched 4 times in 6 days and had a 0.00 ERA
over those appearances (2 unearned runs). In September, at the end of
the year, he pitched 5 times in 8 days with 3 of those outings being
multiple innings and didn't allow a run at all. Based on his rest
splits as a reliever, the amount of rest where he was LEAST effective
was 2 days. Anything under or over that, and he was dominant. In
September he made 11 appearances in 30 days for a 0.49 ERA. In August
he made 10 appearences in 31 days for a 0.60 ERA. It's funny . . . the
more he worked, the better he seemed to get . . . sounds like a
reliever to me.

> BTW - this last fact makes him pretty much in the mold of a starter,
> not a reliever. Its a question to me that Heilam can throw 70
> apearences out of the pen with 75 innings. Clearly they were play with
> this at the end of the season with some success. Spot starting,
> however, that didn't work so well.
>
> Ruben

Spot starting is extremely difficult. Almost no pitchers make a career
out of it and very few can even do it for any extended period of time.
Roger McDowell was a starter in the minors. They made him a reliever
because of his limited repertoire and he flourished. The same is true
for Mariano Rivera, Billy Wagner, Eric Gagne, Randy Myers, and many
others. John Franco was a starter who struggled terribly in the
minors. They put him in the bullpen and he flourished. This is
ridiculous. This guy could be a dominant reliever. He'll be no better
then a mediocre starter.

.