Re: Timing is everything....

On Jan 12, 6:25 pm, OceanView <F...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
McDuck <wallyDELETEMEMcD...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote innews:5mtpk5dsfuc6i888uabc45dhnilg0eisk1@xxxxxxx:

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 06:42:29 -0800 (PST), Wayback1918
<wayback1...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Last year the Red Sox were 46-30 (98 win pace) in games less than 3
hours long and 49-40 ( 89 win pace) in games 3 HR or longer.

They were good in real quick games (2:30 or less) .....10-7 (95 win
pace)

Not so good in real long games (4:00 or more)......4-6 (64 win pace)

Best time for the length of a Red Sox game?  Between 3:16 and
3:48.....the Red Sox were 28-9 in games played in that time
range....a .756 winning percentage or 122 win pace.   This includes
winning all 11 games player between 3:39 and 3:48.

However on games between 2:58 and 3:10 they were 8-15 or .347 percent
or a 56 win pace.

<shrug>

Long games typically with NYY by reputation, but I've never seen the
stats you are quoting. We basically split with NYY --- maybe the early
games, which RS won, were quick. My vague memory is that the RS were
not so good last season in extra innings for whatever reason (we did
have that good pen).

I don't think a Sox/Yankees game can run less than four hours. Seriously,
the average length for their games has to be at least 3:30.

--
-------
Golf is a good walk spoiled.- Mark Twain- Hide quoted text -

Not at least....it was exactly 3:30

Taking out the rain shortened and extra inning games....the average
time vs each team is below

The number in the middle is the average runs per game for both teams.

ATL 5.5 2:43
FLA 8.5 2:50
NYM 10.0 2:52
CHW 10.1 2:52
MIN 7.6 2:53
TOR 8.8 2:53
OAK 10.0 2:54
TEX 7.9 2:56
LAA 9.4 2:59
SEA 7.8 3:00
WSN 12.0 3:03
BAL 11.0 3:04
DET 9.3 3:04
CLE 11.9 3:05
KCR 12.0 3:09
TBR 9.8 3:12
PHI 17.0 3:27
NYY 11.8 3:30

The Mets and White Sox are quick games in spite of a lot of runs
scored in games with them. Apparently you can score pretty quickly
against them....(or them against us)

The long games with Tampa must be Maddon's incessant use of his
bullpen. The most pitching changes in the AL.

Detroit games take a little longer than would be expected by the
amount of runs scored. (You can't blame Youkilis...the game he
charged the mound was only 3:11)

Beckett started...and finished... the quickest game last year. 3-0 vs
Atlanta in 2:11

Of the top 10 fastest played Red Sox games last year.....Wakefield
started 4....Beckett started 3.....Lester 2....Bowden 1. What?....
no Brad Penny starts?

  • Re: Over-Paid-Ro (another I told you so)
    ... At the start of play on September 1st, the Red Sox were ... were now 75-56 (which means they were 2.5 games BEHIND ... they won games at a .567 pace. ... a player has been traded, ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Re: White Sox, Red Sox Meeting On Danks, Floyd
    ... Winning 100 games realistic for loaded Red Sox ... The Red Sox have won 100 games only three times since beginning play ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Re: Did the better teams advance to the ALCS?
    ... of the season when the Angels may have been easing off somewhat. ... If you tell me LAA wins 100 games and the Sox win 80, ... and the Red Sox win 95 games playing Tampa, ... players, or young players, or hurt players, and getting playing time ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Re: Did the better teams advance to the ALCS?
    ... of the season when the Angels may have been easing off somewhat. ... explainable by the games we played vs TEE, ... and the Red Sox win 95 games playing Tampa, ... players, or young players, or hurt players, and getting playing time ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Re: Did the better teams advance to the ALCS?
    ... wins is more than explainable by the games we played vs TEE, ... premise that such things can be determined by stats. ... But if one of the intermediate goals on the ... and the Red Sox win 95 games playing Tampa ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)