Game 44---May 17th.---Don's grade/thoughts !!!

I'm not sure why it would matter from the pitchers points of view but it
was mildly interesting that they decided to stay with Dice-K starting
the afternoon game and Wake the night game more because switching them
would have 'Tek starting the night game followed the afternoon game
tomorrow than anything.

Gee, if Dice-K keeps getting into the 7th. inning how am I going to
continue to support my claim that his 7- 0 record is weak? <G>

Bringing Lopez in with a man on and 2 out in the 7th. instead of Oki
might indicate that Terry has learned not to use Oki with men on base
except for the fact that Oki apparently has a slight wrist sprain in his
pitching arm. Although the suggestion seems to have been that he could
have pitched.

But the real genius of Mr. Francona was the three infield position
changes he made to start the 9th. Lowell at third, Youk at first, and
especially Cora and his back to the plate catch to end the game at
short, were all very good plays. Cora's was a great play. Especially
considering that if that batter reaches the tying run comes to the
plate.

And those good to great plays kept Paps pitch count pretty low, under 10
I think, so maybe he'll be available for game 2 if needed. And while
the outs being made in the field as opposed to by strikeout was nice for
that reason it (And the home run.) was also worrisome in that when Paps
was having his problems a while ago he wasn't striking guys out.

An interesting thing from watching some games with the sound down and
listening on the radio is how often Joe is wrong about just where
pitches miss.
Opponent: Milwaukee
Game data:
WIN 5 - 3
Dice-K 7 - 0
Paps S 12
Big Papi HR 8
Season's record: 25 - 19
Series record: 1 - 0
Trip/stand record: 1 - 0
This game's +s and -s and STAR and comments:
Starting pitching:
Dice-K gets a " + " for the 6.2 innings giving up 2 runs. Of course the
2.15 ERA might also make defending my cheap record claim tough to
defend.
Relief pitching:
Delco gets a " + " for the 1.1 scoreless set up innings.
Offense:
Papi gets a " + " for the 2 hits, 2 walks, 3 RBI and 2 runs scored,
which included the 3 run homer that was the difference.
Defense:
Cora gets a " + " for the Mays like catch that ended the game.
This game's starting pitching grade and comments: (Based on 1 to 3)
2-----Getting less cheap.
This games relief pitching grade and comments: (Based on 1 to 3)
2-----The home run by Paps is a bit worrisome. Or is it?
This game's hitting grade and comments: (Based on 1 to 3)
2-----It was enough but could have/should have been more.
This game's defense grade and comments: (Based on 1 to 3)
3-----For all 3 plays in the 9th. Culminating in Cora's gem.
Season's starters:
13----1s
17----2s
14-----3s
----------------------
Season's relief:
1-----N/A
8-----1s
18-----2s
17----3s
Season's offense:
11----1s
13----2s
20----3s
Season's defense:
7-----1s
22----2s
15----3s
--------------------------------------
STARS:
Manny 6
Pedroia 3 (1 for D)
Paps 2
'Tek 2
Youk 2
Lowell 2
Dice-K 2
Jacoby 1
Papi 1
Beckett 1
Tavarez 1
Lugo 1
Masterson 1
Buchholz 1
Lester 1
Oki 1
----------------------------
GOATS:
Lugo 1
Buchholz 1
Wake 1
------------------------------
+s and -s:
Management + 2 / - 2 = 0
Offense:
Manny + 13 / - 3 =+ 10
Youk + 9 / - 1 = + 8
Pedroia + 5
Papi + 9 / - 4 = + 5
Drew + 5 / - 1 = + 4
Ellsbury + 5 / - 2 = + 3
Casey + 2
Moss + 2
Lowell + 3 / - 1 = + 2
Coco + 2
'Tek + 4 / 3 = + 1
Cash + 1
Lowrie + 1
Lugo + 2 / - 2 = 0
Starting pitchers:
Wake + 7 / - 2 = + 5
Beckett + 7 / - 2 = + 5
Dice-K + 6 / - 1 = + 5
The Masterman + 2
Buchholz + 5 / - 4 = + 1
Lester + 6 / - 4 = + 2
Pauley -1
Relief pitchers:
Paps + 8 / - 1 = + 7
Lopez + 4
Aardsma + 6 / - 2 = + 4
Okajima + 4 / - 2 = + 2
Tavarez + 4 / - 3 = + 1
Delco + 5 / - 4 = + 1
Okajima + 1 / - 1 = 0
Corey + 1 / - 2 = - 1
Snyder - 1
Hansen - 1
Timlin - 2
Defense:
Manny + 3
Ellsbury + 2
Pedroia + 2
Cora + 1
Youk + 1
Moss - 1
Casey - 1
Hansen - 1
Lugo - 5
--------------------------------------
Record by week and month:   Week 1:
3 - 4/ Week 2: 4 - 2/ Week 3: 6 - 1 Week 4: 2 /5 Week 5: 5 - 1/Week 6: 4
- 3 (April: 17 - 12) Week 7: 1 - 3
Series record: 8 - 5 - 1
Series sweeps: 3 - 3
Road trips: 1 - 3