Re: 3 unmentioned top 9 moments:

"Matadder" <matadder@xxxxxxx> wrote in
news:YMKdnfMFqstTH53bnZ2dnUVZ_hisnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx:

"Griffin" <ENTERMYNAMEHEREFIRSTANDLASTNOSPACE@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:8JCdnYDhItfp4Z3bnZ2dnUVZ_tTinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TC wrote:

Loved it. That was much more effective than booing. Rivera took it as
it was intended, as a backhanded show of respect. You don't get that
kind of reaction without being great first. I must say, I didn't
think of this moment when considering my favorites, but I did think
about when Pesky got his ring that day.

From what I heard (I didn't see it myself), it really looked as if he
thought they were cheering for him in a non-sarcastic manner.

It was DEFINITELY sarcastic cheering (he had blown the last two saves of
2004 in the playoffs against the Sox, and had already blown one save
that year against the Sox). And bless him, Mo understood it totally,
smiled and laughed and tipped his cap. Really changed my opinion of
him, showed he's a classy guy who enjoys the game.

Reminds me of a time as a kid I watched the Sox play the Rangers when
Canseco was on the Rangers. Every time he came up, there were
"Steroid!" chants. Then, there was a single to right field and he
literally kicked the ball into the corner, one of the worst errors I've
ever seen. The place erupted. When he came up to bat the next inning,
he got a standing ovation. And Jose, to his credit, stepped out of the
box and, with a big smile, gave a huge tip of his cap to the crowd.
Showed that he, like Rivera years later, "gets it." There's an element
of fun in the games, and you can't lose that.

I agree about Rivera. I always saw him as somewhat cold and mechanical, as
well as tough to beat. That changed my opinion. I also had a lot of
respect for the Yankees players who watched the ring ceremony from the
dugout rather than sulking in the locker room.

  • Re: 3 unmentioned top 9 moments:
    ... year against the Sox). ... classy guy who enjoys the game. ... Canseco was on the Rangers. ... a huge tip of his cap to the crowd. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Re: Actually, Sox in great position
    ... I hope the Sox are winning by 10 so this ... I suggested in another post that Rivera probably would pitch if there ... use their top BP people when the game was close. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Japan report [long]
    ... thanks, kudos, and congratulations to the people at Red Sox Destinations/Fenway Sports Group for putting together the Japan travel package and pulling it off so successfully. ... Long lines at customs, followed by a two-hour bus shuttle into the city, left us with just a couple of hours at the hotel before it was time to head to the Tokyo Dome for the exhibition game against the Yomiuri Giants. ... The Japanese for the most part have collective tunnel-vision aimed at Japanese players, but they really warmed up to Manny. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Re: American League Situation Update
    ... I believe there'd be a 1 game playoff ... > with Cleveland. ... The White Sox are ... > things up on at least 96 wins - with the Red Sox Yankees playing together I ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Game 131---August 25th.---Dons grade/thoughts!!!
    ... certain won lose record situations between the Sox and Yankees the other ... 10 or 11 game lead. ... This game's starting pitching grade and comments: ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)