An Open Apology to A-Rod

I have attacked Alex Rodriguez for years. I've said he's my
second-least favorite player, trailing only Barry Bonds. But after
reading A-Rod's gracious and wonderful comments about Manny Ramirez in
today's Globe, I want to publicly apologize to Mr. Rodriguez. And if
he ever does opt out of his contract, I would welcome him as a Red
Sock. Here's what Alex said in Cafardo's Baseball Notes:

"I think Manny is the greatest righthanded hitter we've ever seen.
That I've ever seen, no question. I can't think of anyone over the
years better than Manny Ramírez. Now, I haven't seen Hank Aaron and
Ernie Banks and Willie Mays, but I can't imagine their being greater
than Manny Ramírez. I have the utmost admiration for Manny, he's a
very close friend."

If he were a teammate, how would he handle Ramírez's quirks and
antics?

"Very easy," he said. "Thirty-five, 120 every year. I'll take it every
day. A lot of superstars have some gimmicks. I'm a goofy guy and I
have some [expletive] that comes with me, you know? I judge Manny on
two things. No. 1: 7:05 [p.m.]. Every night he's ready to go. And
secondly, he's probably the hardest-working player I've ever been
around. He keeps it a big secret. He keeps it away from you guys."

-Bismo.

  • Re: Bob Ryan
    ... Not when they want to dump a player because they don't like him. ... Any desire to dump Manny has nothing to not liking him as a person. ... if Theo is free under his contract to quit and decides it is no ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Re: A-rod situation good for Sox
    ... If you can keep Lowell for only three years, ... I understand that reasoning, and nobody is a bigger Manny fan than me, ... I don't think it'll be a bargain if 2009-10 Manny are similar to 2007 ... old player. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Re: Bob Ryan
    ... Not when they want to dump a player because they don't like him. ... Any desire to dump Manny has nothing to not liking him as a person. ... if Theo is free under his contract to quit and decides it is no ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Re: My Opinion on the Manny Situation
    ... give 100% all the time and another who just flat outperforms that player by a wide margin, year after year, so much so that comparisons between them are really a little silly, and I'll take the latter player every time. ... I do know that both the Red Sox and Manny's representatives have confirmed they are working on trying to trade him. ... Did Manny request a trade? ... I've certainly heard rumors ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Re: Play Manny!
    ... We're in a pennant race and Manny is our best hitter..and ... >> he is not a team player. ... >> thinks he is God's gift to the Red Sox and could do whatever he wants. ... >> Francona is a smart manager for not giving into to Manny's whims just ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)