Re: Brett Saberhagen Will Decline HOF

OceanView wrote:

To me it's the same, which is an intentional violation of the rules. Rose betting on his own team is bad, but using spitballs, corked bats, and so forth is still cheating. Will Barry Bonds get in? Even thought he's never been caught using steroids, he may also have a tough time. In some ways I think Rose ironically raised the standard for getting in by NOT getting in.

Rose didn't raise any standards; that standard was already in place. The prescribed punishment for his offense was and is banishment from baseball, including the HoF. Other players who have been caught cheating have served their punishments as well. Rose didn't cheat, he thumbed his nose at the integrity of the game and paid the known price for the violation.
.