Re: Manny, etc.

john.vampate...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> [...]
> There's still 1b and CF to work out, and Floyd/Ortiz are a left handed
> combo. Need a righty in there instead. What do they do at this point?
> Heilman gives them another very good bullpen arm, and Milledge
> suddenly becomes the CF of the future. I see Boston needing a CF for
> '06, a RH power-hitting corner OF, and a very good LH hitting 1b.
>
> Then you do Wells to SD for Otsuka and Roberts. Seems to be what
> everyone expects. Roberts promptly becomes the starting CF. Not
> nearly as good as Damon, but good enough to hold down the fort until
> Milledge is ready, probably (hopefully) in '07. Otsuka is another
> excellent bullpen arm.
>
> The roster is now this:
>
> C - Varitek, Shoppach
> 1b - ??
> 2b - Cora
> 3b - Lowell, Youkilis
> SS - Renteria
> LF - Floyd
> CF - Roberts (Milledge in the wings)
> RF - Nixon
> DH - Ortiz
>
> SP - Schilling, Beckett, Clement, Wakefield, Arroyo, Papelbon (that's
> 6)
> RP - Otsuka, Heilman, Timlin, Delcarmen, Mota, Foulke (Hansen??)
>
> That's a solid rotation and a very good bullpen. But I think the
> lineup has problems: (a) not enough pop replacing Manny, (b) too many
> LH hitters, and (c) no 1b.
>
> Financially, the Sox are way better off, with Damon's $$ gone (about
> $8.5 mil/year) and the difference between Manny and Floyd being about
> $11 mil, including the $2 mil/year Boston assumes). That's $19.5
> million available to go hard after Konerko. Blow him away - 3 years,
> $36 million. Overpay if you have to. That still leaves you with $6.5
> million left to spend. Now the lineup is:
>
> C - Varitek, Shoppach
> 1b - Konerko
> 2b - Cora
> 3b - Lowell, Youkilis
> SS - Renteria
> LF - Floyd
> CF - Roberts (Milledge in the wings)
> RF - Nixon
> DH - Ortiz
>
> SP - Schilling, Beckett, Clement, Wakefield, Arroyo, Papelbon (that's
> 6)
> RP - Otsuka, Heilman, Timlin, Delcarmen, Mota, Foulke (Hansen??)
>
> The batting order, at this point, could look like:
>
> CF Roberts
> SS Renteria (don't love him in the 2 spot, but there isn't a better
> option, really)
> DH Ortiz
> 1b Konerko
> LF Floyd
> C Varitek
> RF Nixon
> 3b Lowell
> 2b Cora
>
> That's a very good lineup. If Lowell sucks, bench him and plug
> Youkilis in there. If Lowell rebounds and becomes a 25 hr, 85 rbi guy,
> then this lineup becomes unbelievable. Plus, it's better defensively,

Unbelievable in what respect? Perhaps unbelievably worse than 2005?
Roberts is not a regular on a good hitting team, because he is a poor
hitter. Lowell is unlikely to make a full comeback and more unlikely to
be better than Youkilis. Cora is a good option to start 60 games (vrs
RHP) at SS and 20 or so at second if Graffanino returns. Floyd already
had one somewhat unsatisfactory go around with Boston. Whose money are
you planning to spend on Konerko who is very unlikely to come to Boston
and very likely to be an overpaid disappointment before his contract
expires with whoever he does sign with. Also, he is probably going to
get around 50 mil for 4 years so your offer sucks too. Anyone with at
least the brains of a toad-faced mutant knows that Nixon is far better
suited to bat 2nd than Outerria.

> If you trade Lowell, I don't know what you're going to get.

That is a risk I would happily take.

  • Re: Manny, etc.
    ... > assume for the sake of discussion that the Sox *will* trade Manny. ... It would probably have to be Floyd. ... Roberts promptly becomes the starting CF. ... > 3b - Lowell, Youkilis ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Manny, etc.
    ... Looks like Sox/Mets deal involving Manny is heating up again. ... It would probably have to be Floyd. ... Then you do Wells to SD for Otsuka and Roberts. ... 3b - Lowell, Youkilis ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Re: Manny, etc.
    ... > Looks like Sox/Mets deal involving Manny is heating up again. ... It would probably have to be Floyd. ... Roberts promptly becomes the starting CF. ... > 3b - Lowell, Youkilis ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Re: Manny, etc.
    ... Delgado only saves them $1M per year and isn't the hitter Manny is, ... It would probably have to be Floyd. ... Roberts promptly becomes the starting CF. ... >> 3b - Lowell, Youkilis ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)
  • Re: Manny, etc.
    ... > assume for the sake of discussion that the Sox *will* trade Manny. ... It would probably have to be Floyd. ... With the way Minaya focuses on players, I think the Sox can get more, ... Roberts promptly becomes the starting CF. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)