Re: What Makes A Pipe A Great Performer?
I think there are a number of factors that lead to a great performer.
The absence of any one of them puts the pipe in doubt/jeopardy.
1. Properly cured and/or aged briar. A crappy piece of briar is
strikes one and two.
2. Good solid engineering and construction. Good simple solid
engineering and construction is key. Keep it simple. It was Trever
Talbert who once said referring to his wild Mountains of Madness pipe
that no matter what, inside of the pipe was a billiard. Sloppy
execution, engineering, and construction will harm the pipe
geometrically. Right now I am smoking a pipe, one of mine, that is
amazingly simple and an amazing smoker. It is an all briar pipe with
a 1/8” airway straight into a .75” diameter bowl. Very little to
screw up and a very solid performer with any tobacco.
3. The right tobacco. Some pipes do better with one tobacco than
4. Smoking technique. No pipe is immune from poor results due to
- Prev by Date: Re: TUES. 2/7 morning smokes
- Next by Date: AD: New pipes on www.imparato.it
- Previous by thread: Re: What Makes A Pipe A Great Performer?
- Next by thread: Re: What Makes A Pipe A Great Performer?