Re: OT: got a camera...
- From: Grousemoor <grousemoor@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 07:52:12 -0700 (PDT)
Excellent Bert! Looking forward to the new photos.
On Jul 5, 2:02 pm, Bert Olton <artor...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
...finally! Found a half way decent digital camera at a half way decent
price, so you'll be seeing some half way decent photos on aspipes.org
and my half way decent site in due time.
My cel phone camera and those ridiculously tiny pocket digital cameras
that my kids have just wouldn't work for me. My hands aren't steady
enough to take a good shots with them, I keep plastering the stupid
things up to my eye as if they're SLRs, while everyone around me laughs
and all of the buttons on them are so danged small I end up getting
every function going but the one I want.
This one's still small, but it's built with a grip like an old SLR with
a speed winder and I seem to actually be able to manage the little booger..
It's a GE X5, 14.1 megapixel, with image stabilization (nice feature for
ole shaky hands) <grin>, with "15X wide optical zoom", full selection of
everything from automatic mode to control of any and all settings
(aperture, shutter speed, etc.), it'll do short videos, it'll stitch
together panoramic shots and a whole raft of other stuff.
Biggest pluses for me:
1. for simple shots, on full auto mode, it just works.
2. it attaches easily to my tripod.
3. relatively speaking it was cheap, cheap, cheap ($119.00).
4. it's got all - or at least most of - the possible settings to imitate
an old 35mm SLR, something I've missed for a while now.
Biggest complaints so far:
1. the lens cap doesn't stay on worth a damn, so I keep getting finger
prints on the lens. Handling these little units is an art.
2. the flash slams up into place so hard when it's button is pushed that
I know the plastic stops and hinges are going to go fast if I don't
That's about it. Don't get me wrong - this isn't going to make me the
next 'artist formerly known as Buzz' among the pipe community's
photogs...<s.e. grin>. What it's going to do is eliminate some of the
blurry shots that I've always taken of stuff like the ASP Zippos. A
Si vis pacem, para bellum. To those who have served or are serving the
cause of freedom in peace or in war at home or abroad, thank you. “Let's
roll!”, Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, September 11, 2001.
- Re: OT: got a camera...
- From: Bert Olton
- Re: OT: got a camera...
- Prev by Date: Re: WED. 7/6 morning smokes
- Next by Date: Re: WED. 7/6 morning smokes
- Previous by thread: AD: EBAY Tobaccos; Haddo's, Solani 369, CAO Liberty, Rajah's Court, Commonwealth, Umbria
- Next by thread: Re: OT: got a camera...