Re: how to "cure" a pipe?

Hello,

Check this out http://www.pipes.org/Articles/PipeSweet.html as a
solution for sweeting your pipe. You could also just take a pipe
cleaner with some whiskey or something and rub that through the stem
and around the inside of the bowl, let it sit for 24 or so hours
before smoking it again. Keep doing that after each smoke and it
should start to taste better as well. The latter option would mean
struggling through some bad bowls so it depends on your threshold for
putting up with bad smoke.

There are also commercial pipe sweeteners that work as well and can be
purchased via the net or at a local B&M.

I am sure that you will get a mix of opinions about putting salt in
the pipe as suggested by the link, but I offer these solutions as ones
that I have used and they worked for me.

Have fun.
Scott

  • Re: Breaking in smokes consensus
    ... and I'm wondering about smoking them during break-in. ... but how often do you smoke a pipe during break ... How often do you guys smoke a pipe during ... and filling the bowl with alcohol and setting it afire. ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: Newbie Question!
    ... Thanks for the input, I'm pretty sure it's smoking speed; I came from a family of cigarette smokers, though I never picked up the habit myself. ... I saw a link on someone's page about "breath smoking", think I'm going to try that next bowl. ... "Dave's Philadelphia Gentleman" is a local blend from a smoke shop on my way home from work; it's been a while since I bought it I think the mix is black vanilla cav, virginia and something else. ... and hopefully bottom of your pipe bowl. ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: Smoking in Restaurants
    ... I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would allow cigarettes but not pipes/cigars. ... Cigarette smoke is much more harmful than pipe/cigar smoke, not to mention is smells worse. ... At the first of the year, the new non-smoking law passed and almost every bar in town had to shut down for a few weeks. ... I sat in my favorite booth with a big pipe full of Prince ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Smoking newbie questions... :)
    ... a $25 briar pipe and my local tobacconist's own aromatic blend. ... but I do give my calabash a day's break between ... down without a problem - but my smoke is over in a mere five minutes! ... The inside of the meerschaum bowl of my calabash is black. ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: Serendipity doo dah method of tobacco packing
    ... loading technique leaves something to be desired. ... So I grabbed the pipe I thought might be driest, my Sav Oscar pot, and the little baggie of McClelland 5100 that was sitting close to hand. ... I dribbled some tobacco into the bowl, tapped the sides of the pipe, then unceremoniously mashed it in. ... I drew the smoke into my mouth in a dense palpable wad almost thick enough to chew, and exhaled it in a slowly expanding cloud of billowing sweet-smelling fog. ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)