Re: Tough on Farmers

On Oct 25, 7:35 pm, Jim Beard <jdbe...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
schnorrer wrote:
Would buying organic tobacco- like C and D's Organic Pipe Dreams help
the small farmer?  I hope so, as it is my go-to Virginia these days.

Buying any good pipe tobacco will help the small tobacco farmer.
They are the ones growing tobacco for pipe use.  Buy from a U.S.
manufacturer (C&D, G.L. Pease, etc) and most of the tobacco used will
be from U.S. production.  Buy from overseas and most of the tobacco
will come from Africa, India, Indonesia, or elsewhere outside the U.S.

U.S. tobacco fit for cigarettes is produced in such quantity and
at such low cost that it can be profitably exported, to those willing
to pay a little more for better quality.  The pipe tobaccos grown in
the U.S. basically have no market outside our borders.  Equivalent
tobaccos (or better) can be purchased for less elsewhere, with a
couple of exceptions.  Perique is not grown outside the U.S., and no
one even tries to duplicate the processing outside our borders.  It
used to be (and I suspect still is) that Black Fat tobacco, grown in
Kentucky and used mainly in snuff, was another grown-only-in-the-U.S.
product and was in demand abroad.

Cheers!

jim b.

--
UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
      expects users to be computer-friendly.

What about bulk tobacco? The blends i really like are bulks from
Lanes. Do you know if this is an American grown crop?

Thanks for the info.

Happy puffing,
Bill D.

  • Re: Suggest Syrian Latakia Blends
    ... Smokers' Haven Pipe Tobacco 20th Anniversary Mixture 8oz Air Tight ... Syrian Latakia and rich flavored Turkish carefully nurtured in rolled ... This blend contains Golden Yellow ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: Pipe vs Cigar tobak
    ... Are different types of tobacco ... are there any cigars out there made wtih pipe tobacco and/or ... fermented by putting it in bales and allowing natural fermentation to ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: Orlik Tobacco Company
    ... tobacco and wish to become the international leader in tobacco production. ... Orlik Golden Sliced, Erinmore, and Stokkebye blends. ... don't think Orlik has the art to make pipe tobacco the english way. ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Fed. Gov. Slaps a 53% Tax increase on Cigars & Pipe Tobaccos
    ... Each state has its own taxes for tobacco. ... average pipe smoker is going to pay $60 for 7oz of Pipe Tobacco? ... Wouldn't a tax cut for the low and middle-income tax ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: Pipe vs Cigar tobak
    ... Are different types of tobacco ... are there any cigars out there made wtih pipe tobacco and/or ... popular pipe tobacco, and white burley, and possibly all burleys were ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)