Re: Questions

On Apr 6, 10:31 pm, "Robert" <magine...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What makes a good pipe? Some briar

is just of better quality. This means less moisture, a cleaner flavor,
and generally a lighter pipe. How it looks is very important to some
people, although the pipes that look the best (and we're talking
thousands of dollars here) will also tend to be very good smokers.
Still, once you get past the bowl coating, Dr. Grabows are decent
smokers, especially for the price and availability.

I would add that not only is there better quality briar available to
carvers and manufacturers but also the curing process makes a
difference between a 'drug store pipe' and one of quality because in
doing so it removes the saps and resins that are bitter to the taste
and this takes time and there are various methods used. In addition,
drug store pipes are mass produced whereas as better quality pipes are
individually made along with the stem, thus ensuring a precise fit for
smoking satisfaction. The end result is that quality pipes are better
made and offer a cooler, dryer smoke with no bitterness.

I disagree with the notion that just because a pipe looks good it's
going to smoke well, that's nonsense. Looks have nothing whatsoever to
do with smoking qualities. Yet most well made quality pipes do look
good.

By the same token there are many who have reported that their Dr.
Graybows, basket pipes etc smoke as well as any Dunhill or other high
grade in their collection but this is the exception and not the rule.

Lastly, corncobs offer a truly inexpensive unique smoking experience
and are a good pipe for the money.

Hope this
helps,

Robert

Welcome JSand,
You have some good questions, and pipe smokers love to voice their
opinions and attempt to give helpful advice. That said I will voice my
opinions and helpful advice. There are many classifications of
tobacco. A good natural burley is one of the easiest to smoke and
great for a person just starting out. Prince Albert and Carter Hall
are two excellent burlies. They have been around for years and are
still a favorite of many of us. That has to tell you something! They
should be available locally and are inexpensive. I would suggest you
get a pouch of each and give them a try.
i would also suggest you get a few corn cob pipes. They too, are
inexpensive and provide a great smoke. Try PA in one and CH in the
other. This, in my opinion, would be a good starting point.
Ken

  • Re: Questions
    ... I would add that not only is there better quality briar available to ... drug store pipes are mass produced whereas as better quality pipes are ... The end result is that quality pipes are better ... dryer smoke with no bitterness. ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: How Many B&Ms are in the USA?
    ... shop might not be able to make it selling only quality pipes and ... tobaccos, they will be very surprised to find the number of pipe ... in the direction of quality when it came to pipes and tobaccos, ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • New pipes at The Briary
    ... We just got a great new batch of Cavicchi pipes for your examination. ... Bjarne Nielson sent us 10 of the best quality pipes he offers. ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: Why Dunhills High Price
    ... price of a Dunhill, one could buy any one of a number of excellent ... hand made pipes from various carvers. ... Dunhill pipes have been known to have fills and whether their stems ... aren't other companies that produced quality pipes as good or better. ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: What makes a pipe a good smoke?
    ... but have you been cleaning those icky ol' eBay estates before smoking them? ... shine it down the stem to see if you get a nice bright spot on the bowl. ...  A free drawing pipe is one of the keys to a good smoke. ... I got some pipes off ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)