Re: "IS" pipes from Denmark
- From: Jim Turner <jimturner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:03:39 -0600
Is it possible that it is a retailers marking?
I know that pipes from Ostermann's are marked JO.
No, no! This "IIB" or IIS" is not a 2nd "brand". You can find it on several
pipes by different makers. It doesn't seem to be initials of a maker, who
carved for Preben first and for Karl Erik Ottendahl than, or something like
that. There are many "better" pipes stamped in this way, for example such
exceptional pieces like Larsen & Stigart Champ of Denmark or on Shelburnes,
but Preben Holm's too. The IIS stamped pipes I know are definitely not
"seconds" - far from it! The "seconds" in Prebens production (Ben Wades as
well) he called and stamped "frasortered", what means "sorted out" or
rejected quality. All in all IIB-or-S should mean somethin' else... I hardly
can imagine, someone who's as crazy, to stamp pretty straight grained and
flawless briars as "second quality"... Preben was in some aspect a crazy
guy, but not as crazy ;-)
- Prev by Date: AD/ANN: New Tinsky, Hedegaard, Dunhills and many more at The Piperack!
- Next by Date: Re: Bollito shipping - a new record
- Previous by thread: Re: "IS" pipes from Denmark
- Next by thread: Re: ? re: "IS" pipes from Denmark