Re: Cleaning a zippo and wick length/location

The wick is getting shorter because your using the lighter when it is almost
out of fluid. It starts to burn the wick instead of fluid. Keep your
lighter filled and you will notice that the wick will almost never need to
be adjusted

"Charles Potter" <cpotter1325@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Mark wrote:
> > I've had a pipe zippo for about a year. The side I put down towards
> > the pipe, as well as around the starter wheel, has a black "gunk" on
> > it.
> >
> > Has anyone else noticed this? And anyone know how to clean it off?
> >
> > I've also noticed recently the wick has gotten shorter quicker as its
> > getting more use. Is there a good picture of how long the wick should
> > be, or should I just not worry about it until it won't light my pipes
> > anymore? :)
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Mark
> >

> Hi Mark. I use lighter fluid and an old tooth brush to clean off the
> tar. Scrape the tar off of the wick with a small knife and then fill the
> lighter and check the flame height. If the wick is to short, carefully
> pull it out a little with needle nose pliers. If you pull it out too
> much, you'll have to take the cotton out of the insert, pull the wick
> back in a little, and repack the insert. Usually just the cleaning will
> be enough to restore the lighter to good working order.
>
> Charles

  • How to make a Zippo light everytime.
    ... I've been having problems with my Zippo lighter. ... and told me to flare the wick, ... I _ Must _ cut the metal wires down to the top of the lighter; ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: Im about to throw my Zippo in the river.
    ... They included with the new lighter a spare wick and some flints, ... more thinking that maybe there wasn't enough pressure on the flint, ... BTW which river are you planning to use? ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: Cleaning a zippo and wick length/location
    ... > The wick is getting shorter because your using the lighter when it is almost ... It starts to burn the wick instead of fluid. ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: Im about to throw my Zippo in the river.
    ... They included with the new lighter a spare wick and some flints, ... whatever reason, precious few lights. ... more thinking that maybe there wasn't enough pressure on the flint, ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: Cleaning a zippo and wick length/location
    ... > Dave Podgorni wrote: ... >> The wick is getting shorter because your using the lighter when it is almost ... It starts to burn the wick instead of fluid. ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)