Re: Best comment from Judge Vinson's decision

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 08:44:42 -0800, Miss Elaine Eos wrote:
On 2011-02-04 19:41:34 -0800, Carbon <nobrac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
said:

Just to be clear, I am not advocating [...whatever -- snip]. I would
just like something for the bottom third of the population as a means
of controlling healthcare costs.

If you have any bright ideas, we're all ears.

Just for the record, though, you're not the only one who's thought about
this quite a bit... ;)

Misc "turns out: it's a hard problem with no simple answers."

Very much agree with that.

My idea: a hybrid system. The poor get universal healthcare. It is not
great but better than nothing. Everyone is required to pay into it. The
wealthy can continue to purchase whatever insurance they like from their
friendly neighborhood insurance agent, just like they do now. With proof
of insurance at or above the level of the universal system, they get a
tax break due to not participating in the universal system. Healthcare
costs as a percentage of GDP goes down. ALE goes up if anyone cares about
that.

Everyone pays something. Aside from lower premiums, the well to do will
see very little change.
.