Re: [OT] Misc argues with Tony...

On 2011-01-11 08:45:34 -0800, Bart Goddard <goddardbe@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
Just because God has determined your choices doesn't mean you don't make the choices

I am unable to parse that sentence. Please clarify.

(Do we agree that "to determine" is synonymous with "to cause" or "to decide"...?!)

You *might* be saying something like "just because God has SEEN your future decisions, you still make the decisions (you follow up with "(and hence are responsible for them.)")

What I'm arguing is that, if God has already seen my future decisions, then either...

a) There is only one possible outcome and I'm pre-destined to follow the path God has seen and make the decisions as he's seen them. That is, the universe unfolds according to a fixed pattern and we can't "decide" to change things in the normally used "free will" sense of the term

or...

b) God saw wrong, as I might decide something different, using that free will of mine.

(I'm ommitting (c) God doesn't see the future and (d) there is no God as uninteresting positions for this discussion, although those are the other logical possibilities.)

--
Please remove your pants if you want to send me e-mail.
Lots of good cigar info, the ASC Birthday page, FAQs, vendors and more at

  • God Hates You, Hate Him Back: Making Sense of The Bible
    ... God Hates You, Hate Him Back makes the ultimate case for the claim ... God hates us all. ... This review is from: God Hates You, Hate Him Back: Making Sense of The ... The reality, as CJ Werleman has ...
    (rec.sport.pro-wrestling)
  • Re: Settled, once and for all.
    ... So you're saying that God does *NOT* exist...? ... Lots of good cigar info, the ASC Birthday page, FAQs, vendors and more at ... A "great" review is one with the name of the cigar before the review text ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: OT: Response to liberal gloating
    ... But the rules all make very good sense, and that good sense prevails, even if you don't think God exists. ... Please remove your pants if you want to send me e-mail. ... Lots of good cigar info, the ASC Birthday page, FAQs, vendors and more at ... A "great" review is one with the name of the cigar before the review text in the body of the post. ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: From the White House
    ... once and duplicating it.) ... Perhaps it's handed down by God, ... Lots of good cigar info, the ASC Birthday page, FAQs, vendors and more at ... A "great" review is one with the name of the cigar before the review text in the body of the post. ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • The Strange Case of Chaplain Yee
    ... The Strange Case of Chaplain Yee ... For God and Country: ... New York Review of Books ... Captain James Yee, a 1990 graduate of the US ...
    (soc.culture.jordan)