Re: The Free Market Compared to Yoke of Tyranny

On 2010-06-07 10:52:33 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" <pmcook@xxxxxxx> said:
You have just seen a bunch of people, both Republicans and
Libertarians, suggest that, even in a free market, the government has
a role. That also suggests that there needs to be some sort of
taxation to support that role.

You use vague terms like "suggests" which keeps your point of view pretty
open ended with regards to its scope.

Taxation is not the ONLY income-generating tool available to governments. By way of counter-example, they could try running one of their many businesses (let's start with the post office) in a competitive environment and EARN their keep. Or do the same thing with the military, offering national security forces.

(Due to the dual-benefit nature of the latter, I'd think we could seriously undercut other security firms. That is, if offering $100 worth of security to someone also gives us $80 of benefit, we could sell it for $40 and come out way ahead!)

Misc "But there I go thinking like a free-market capitalist, again..."

--
Please remove your pants if you want to send me e-mail.
Lots of good cigar info, the ASC Birthday page, FAQs, vendors and more at

  • Re: Best Memorial Weekend Lawn Poster
    ... primary objective and wants to take a nap. ... You seem to want the government to DO things, whereas I'd be happy if it took more naps and maybe worked at dismantling 75% of itself. ... Lots of good cigar info, the ASC Birthday page, FAQs, vendors and more at ... A "great" review is one with the name of the cigar before the review text in the body of the post. ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: Obama wins another one
    ... Neither even should be interfered with by the government, ... Now apply that principle to products that are unique, ... Lots of good cigar info, the ASC Birthday page, FAQs, vendors and more at ... A "great" review is one with the name of the cigar before the review text in the body of the post. ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: Fox News: 120% of people think...
    ... if The People are feeling oppressed, given the current police-state climate of our government, I tend to side with them until I either determine that they're whining or learn that the government was actually doing it's job, for once. ... Lots of good cigar info, the ASC Birthday page, FAQs, vendors and more at ... A "great" review is one with the name of the cigar before the review text in the body of the post. ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: Feds push for tracking cell phones
    ... recharging my phone, and while it is off no government can ... Lots of good cigar info, the ASC Birthday page, FAQs, vendors and more at ... A "great" review is one with the name of the cigar before the review text in the body of the post. ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: A nothing-complicated Sunday
    ... Not that all doctors are completely without corruption or bias, but I believe that their training largely emphasises human life and dignity, and there's ALWAYS another sick-or-dying person, so it's not as if they gain anything by keeping this particular bed full. ... The problem with involving the government and, in particular, "ObamaCare", is that this is a very individualized judgement call, but they want to reduce it to a series of calculations. ... Lots of good cigar info, the ASC Birthday page, FAQs, vendors and more at ... A "great" review is one with the name of the cigar before the review text in the body of the post. ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)