Paul M. Cook wrote:
"Ray" <chigaray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:t4tjv591ck9bpuro7eq84afqqnu73mrcqg@xxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 23 May 2010 19:33:30 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" <pmcook@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

"Ray" <chigaray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:f5ajv5lb3boph794phlvcv0a6ftmmd5qgq@xxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 23 May 2010 00:23:09 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" <pmcook@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

"Ken Dixon" <kdixon2711@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:htac9e$rk6$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"A country which does not handle its public finances prudently will
find
its long-term borrowing costs adjusted accordingly,"
Ronald Reagan taught us that deficits don't matter - Dick Cheney -
2001

"a country that spends too much public money, and allows its wage
costs
become uncompetitive, will experience rising unemployment and
falling
economic activity. The social costs may become impossible to bear."
Sure, keep cutting those wages so people are too poor to buy
anything.

How many times have wages been cut in the last, oh...fifty years or
so?
Adjusted for inflation wages have been stagnat and in some secotrs,
regressed since 1976.
Even during the years when there was a Democrat majority in Congress?

Yeah. Your point?

When did Congress vote to lower the national legal minimum wage?
When did they vote to keep it current with COL?

When has it ever been constant with COL? The point is, wages have not
been cut.

So? Wages buy much less now than they have in 36 years. Might as well
cut wages, it is the same effect. You argue raw numbers without taking
into account things like inflation and cost of living increases. Take
housing, used to be 30% was considered the most you should spend. Now it
is almost 70% and we are not talking mansions. How about once a family
could do well on one income. Now two is not enough.

But you keep arguing irrelevant facts.

Paul
Sounds more like an inflation problem than wages. Somebody need to do
something about that.

Wages have been stagnant for the most part of have regressed since 1976.
COLA is almost a thing of the past in many businesses and wages in a
recession take a huge hit because people will work for a lot less.

  • Re: Announcing my new Sci-fi Book
    ... Did they mention the actual wages? ... profit for the store, 19 tax, makes 100 euro in the stores ... and for a jeans that costs 100 euro. ... the other one produced elsewhere will have higher production ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: Bridge loan to nowhere..
    ... Historically, when productivity increases, there may be a lag, but ... wages" are being sucked up by government in various ways. ... considering inflation, raw material costs, etc.  And if your ... charge and actual usage fees (per cubic meter) triples. ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: OT - Fair and Living Wages
    ... let's see you compete with the Chinese for wages... ... Actually, I am a project manager, and have to estimate actual labor, equipment, subcontracting and overhead costs every day when I prepare proposals/bids for work. ... workers available, lower wages. ... Essentially it added a 50% tariff to anything made outside the U.S. ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: OT to the extreme
    ... The wage cost per unit was peanuts - so that even if wages doubled, it would not have visibly impacted the bottom line. ... sells for at least $50, it's hard to argue that costs need to be $5, not $8, *especially* when all the world hates Nike for these practices and changing them costs so little. ... is regarded as pure evil, unlike in the USA, where Libertarianism has an old tradition and federal taxes haven't always been there I suppose. ... My wish would be for more federalism at home, so we can have multiple economic systems within my country, one Red Zone for all those believers, one Catholic Order Zone, and one libertarian zone etc. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: sound familiar
    ... its long-term borrowing costs adjusted accordingly," ... Adjusted for inflation wages have been stagnat and in some secotrs, ... because businesses just don't have the money. ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)