Re: Thanks for the email/newsreader help!

On 2010-02-22, Tom S. <tmswork@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2/22/2010 8:31 AM, Ken Dixon wrote:
On 2/22/10 8:20 AM, Tom S. wrote:
On 2/22/2010 5:44 AM, MLF wrote:
A few days ago I confessed here that I had foolishly upgraded to Win
7. One result of this mistake was that I lost Outlook Express, an
all-in-one email and newsgroup app. I requested suggestions (other
than MS Outlook and woefully deficient Mozilla Thunderbird).
What are the deficiencies in Thunderbird?

I'm curious too. I use T'bird and it seems to work just fine.

I have a few issues with it, such as an erratic dumping of settings and
pointers(?? it occasionally tells me I need to reload reviously read
posts - I DL only headers, not full message bodies), and it seems more
email friendly than newsreader friendly...

Thunderbird *is* an e-mail client first. NNTP is an afterthought.
There is a lack of support for things like multi-part binaries, and
has poor filtering capabilities. But, for most people, it works
fine.

I prefer a standalone client for nntp, and my client of preference
doesn't do binaries at all, as there are plenty of clients designed
solely for that purpose that work much better than any combo does.

--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com