Re: Thanks for the email/newsreader help!

On 2010-02-22, Tom S. <tmswork@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2/22/2010 8:31 AM, Ken Dixon wrote:
On 2/22/10 8:20 AM, Tom S. wrote:
On 2/22/2010 5:44 AM, MLF wrote:
A few days ago I confessed here that I had foolishly upgraded to Win
7. One result of this mistake was that I lost Outlook Express, an
all-in-one email and newsgroup app. I requested suggestions (other
than MS Outlook and woefully deficient Mozilla Thunderbird).
What are the deficiencies in Thunderbird?

I'm curious too. I use T'bird and it seems to work just fine.

I have a few issues with it, such as an erratic dumping of settings and
pointers(?? it occasionally tells me I need to reload reviously read
posts - I DL only headers, not full message bodies), and it seems more
email friendly than newsreader friendly...

Thunderbird *is* an e-mail client first. NNTP is an afterthought.
There is a lack of support for things like multi-part binaries, and
has poor filtering capabilities. But, for most people, it works
fine.

I prefer a standalone client for nntp, and my client of preference
doesn't do binaries at all, as there are plenty of clients designed
solely for that purpose that work much better than any combo does.

--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  • Re: Blackberry.....Body not supported by remote host......
    ... Mac / THunderbird is from a home setup... ... Ill checkout thunderbird settings. ... in SBS 2003 for blackberry email account and any emails to user inbox ... Client is the MD of the company and the sender of email is high client. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Is there an intra-machine pseudo instant messenger?
    ... MAC OSX can be set up to do that with the native client, and Thunderbird also works on OSX. ... Hell set up a special pop server at HQ and give everyone a mail account on it. ... After all standard code exists to create daemons open sockets and pop up dialogue boxes in most application level libraries. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Accessing mail from multiple points in LAN
    ... I personally prefer not to use imap, but to simply go to the preference ... settings in each of the email clients (Thunderbird in this case) and tick ... The other approach is to use more of a thin client approach. ... connect to that VNC desktop on your home machine to ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: [opensuse] I dont want an openSuSE supported MTA!
    ... So here an I reading mail using Thunderbird (or ... or a think client on a network. ... valid risk. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Faulty shutdowns
    ... It happens with any version of Thunderbird, the newer the version the worse it gets. ... One of those is slow on a typical server. ... trim down the maximum number of connections the client can open ... can have it update headers from two servers at the same time. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)