Re: WTF?!? (Warning to all the group's detractors: this thread contains cigar-related content. For now)
- From: LoneStar <SkeeterZX225@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 13:37:59 -0800 (PST)
On Jan 4, 11:16�am, Ray <chiga...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 08:38:51 -0800 (PST), LoneStar
On Jan 4, 9:24?am, Ray <chiga...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Okay, I've been smoking cigars since I was in High School and that was
<mumblemumble> years ago and in all those years I have never
encountered a cigar like the one I tried to smoke last night.
I've been fighting a chest cold and therefore not really smoking much
lately, but last night I thought I'd give it a try. Picked out an Alec
Bradley SCR corona I picked up from Cbid back before Christmas and
peeled off the cello.
Looked good, smelled nice, felt firm but with no hard spots, the
wrapper felt a little leathery but rustled slightly when rolled
between the fingers. All good signs.
Clipped it and tested the draw. No problems there.
And the entire length of the cigar instantly felt like a sponge. Just
squishy. I could pinch it flat between my fingers and it would spring
back to its cylindrical shape. Puffing produced NO smoke, and at least
twice produced small showers of sparks from the cherry.
Needless to say, I abandoned it in the ashtray.
Any thoughts what was wrong with this cigar?
Severely damaged binder...IMO :)
How and why would that affect the burn and/or cause mushiness?- Hide quoted text -
- Show quoted text -
1. The binder is what holds the cigar in its shape, it's rigidity so
to speak...severely damaged binders result in "oversoft" cigars.
2. Binder damage results in very low smoke volume. Think of the binder
as a tube through which the smoke from the burning tobacco travels to
you...crack, or penetrate, that tube and smoke/air ratio changes
drastically (think about how much smoke you get when smoking a cigar
when the binder has been penetrated by just one beetle hole).
3. Dunno about the sparks...popping beetle larvae/eggs ?
- Re: WTF?!?
- From: LoneStar
- Re: WTF?!?
- Prev by Date: [OT] For the science geeks, Thorium reactors?
- Next by Date: [OT] Quote of the Day
- Previous by thread: Re: WTF?!? (Warning to all the group's detractors: this thread contains cigar-related content. For now)
- Next by thread: Re: WTF?!?