Re: The future

"Ken Dixon" <kdixon2711@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
Weyers, owner of a health care benefits administrator in Lansing, Mich.,
gave his 200 employees an ultimatum in 2004: Quit smoking in 15 months or
lose your job. He refused to hire smokers. Ultimately, he extended his
smoking ban to employees' spouses and monitored compliance through
mandatory random blood testing.

It's probably legal to not hire a smoker. It is probably illegal to fire one
if he refuses to quit. And it is most probably illegal to force an employee
to take a blood test if it was not a condition of his original employment.

However, I'd really like to see him force a non-employee spouse to take a
blood test. If I were a lawyer, I'd be sending letters of invitation to
every employee in the place inviting them to give me a call as soon as this
tyranical bozo asked for one.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

  • Re: My first OT post in 3 years (lurkers invited)
    ... > to do with health and business and more to do with conditioning ... Being black doesn't raise the cost of insuring an employee. ... Instead of refusing to hire smokers, ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: quit smoking or your fired
    ... usually less smokers than non smokers in the workplace so why not concentrate on the masses. ... How about "FAT", OBese, Overweight people. ... How about the folks with HIGH BLOOD pressure, sure they are on medication, and those Diabetics that need insulin all the time, and while were at it those with STD's probably cost a lot, and lets add the Drinkers, yes those hungover ones that call off all the time. ... you're most likely an "at will" employee, which means that your job can end by the simple choice of either you or your employer at any time, for any reason, subject to whatever laws might apply. ...
    (alt.politics)
  • Re: Why do people feel the need to be different? Heres one!
    ... I would use the ID to join the spouses, since you may get two employee with ... > Use a calculated field for CombinedName field. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.database.ado)
  • Re: Morning Watch Smoke; December 28, 2005
    ... >I should note that I am an employee of Smokers' Haven. ... Ian ... Prev by Date: ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)