Re: Cello on or off?

On May 13, 11:20�am, Demonick <demon...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 13 May 2008 06:53:39 -0700, Miss Elaine Eos wrote:
In article
<207ae334-8fea-4de7-bda5-3f836c2f0...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
�JtN� <jim_the_New...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The vacuum that sucked the air out would also suck the humidity out is
what he is attempting to tell you but what I would like to hear him
explain is if the cigar itself was properly humidified at the time of
vacuum sealing the box did the vacuuming also suck all the moisture of
the cigars and the box or just out of the air?

Out of he cigars.

Science you can [almost] do at home:

* Moisten a sponge or paper towel to the point of "pretty darned damp."
* Put it in a bell jar.
* Pump out as much air as your little vacuum pump is capable of pumping.
* Wait 5 minutes.
* Release the valve, letting the air back in.
* Inspect the sponge/paper-towel.

NOTE that you will find it quite dry.

I did your experiment with a Foodsaver vacuum packer. �The unit came with
polycarbonate cannisters of various sizes for storing bulk material. �The
lid of each cannister has a suck port and a relief valve. �

I moistened a paper towel with tap water and wrang it out until it was wet
but not dripping. �It was then lightly crumpled into the 25 oz cannister
(4" in diameter and 5-7/8" high). �The vacuum pump was attached and allowed
to run on the "cannister" cycle. �The towel was allowed to reside in the
cannister for 5 minutes post suck, then the relief valve was pressed, the
vacuum was relieved, the lid removed, and the towel examined.

It was as wet as when it went in.

--
Desciencenick- Hide quoted text -

True, with a closed system as you find in the food-saver-jar, but
vacuum wraps vary a lot! Many are semi-permeable materials, some are
not. Some systems (checked w/ my Physics prof) .... however, it is
almost impossible to suck out the excess air without sucking out a lot
of the moisture. In fact, if the vacuum is good enough, you can
easily create (as Misc said) a freeze dried product with no freezing.
<G>....

The Foodsaver system is kinda cool for many applications, but for a
true visual, do not use the jar ... use the bag. You can suck the
life out of bread with that machine (have been there and done that).
Alex's query is more in the vacuumed out baggie than the canister -
just a bit too much suction squashes the box, presses the 'gar, and
could quickly lead to problems depending on the film used. JMHO ;-)

I do have a Physicist and a Physical Chemist who will back me up. :)
.