Re: Cello on or off?

On Tue, 13 May 2008 06:53:39 -0700, Miss Elaine Eos wrote:

In article
<207ae334-8fea-4de7-bda5-3f836c2f00a9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
JtN© <jim_the_Newbie@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The vacuum that sucked the air out would also suck the humidity out is
what he is attempting to tell you but what I would like to hear him
explain is if the cigar itself was properly humidified at the time of
vacuum sealing the box did the vacuuming also suck all the moisture of
the cigars and the box or just out of the air?

Out of he cigars.

Science you can [almost] do at home:

* Moisten a sponge or paper towel to the point of "pretty darned damp."
* Put it in a bell jar.
* Pump out as much air as your little vacuum pump is capable of pumping.
* Wait 5 minutes.
* Release the valve, letting the air back in.
* Inspect the sponge/paper-towel.

NOTE that you will find it quite dry.

I did your experiment with a Foodsaver vacuum packer. The unit came with
polycarbonate cannisters of various sizes for storing bulk material. The
lid of each cannister has a suck port and a relief valve.

I moistened a paper towel with tap water and wrang it out until it was wet
but not dripping. It was then lightly crumpled into the 25 oz cannister
(4" in diameter and 5-7/8" high). The vacuum pump was attached and allowed
to run on the "cannister" cycle. The towel was allowed to reside in the
cannister for 5 minutes post suck, then the relief valve was pressed, the
vacuum was relieved, the lid removed, and the towel examined.

It was as wet as when it went in.

--
Desciencenick

  • Re: Cello on or off?
    ... explain is if the cigar itself was properly humidified at the time of ... Pump out as much air as your little vacuum pump is capable of pumping. ... lid of each cannister has a suck port and a relief valve. ... I moistened a paper towel with tap water and wrang it out until it was wet ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: Cello on or off?
    ... Pump out as much air as your little vacuum pump is capable of pumping. ... lid of each cannister has a suck port and a relief valve. ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: Cello on or off?
    ... Pump out as much air as your little vacuum pump is capable of pumping. ... lid of each cannister has a suck port and a relief valve. ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: Cello on or off?
    ... Cristobal La Punta I discovered that my cigars had developed the most ... Inspecting the other boxes, it turns out ... There is no air for the humidity to escape into -- ... The vacuum that sucked the air out would also suck the humidity out is ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: Dry gas in a watch
    ... Foodsaver-type of vacuum machine. ... My point in bringing this up in a watch newsgroup is that it could also ... effort, to install an inert, dry, gas when resealing the watch. ... simply placing the watch in the cannister and pulling a vacuum should be ...
    (alt.horology)