Re: tax question for accountants

"Miss Elaine Eos" <Misc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Misc-A95D4A.14014103052008@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In article <D94Tj.111$tM1.24@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Tom S." <t.m.s.work@xxxxxxx> wrote:

"Marc Schneiderman" <garbaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:qqko14lpdco0fprtdh6b8cpr8bfg5fvvch@xxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 02 May 2008 07:44:41 -0700, Miss Elaine Eos
<Misc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One of your options is "well, Mr. Auditor, that's all very nice that
you
think that, but I think you're wrong, and I'm taking the deduction."

It's more like: we're not going to allow it and you owe us another
$40,000.

Yes, the IRS has that last word (and many of the first, second and middle
words as well).

Actually, there was a recent decision (2000? around there, somewhere)
that, in the event of a disagreement, the onus is on the IRS to
demonstrate where the law/tax-code has been violated. Prior to that
time, while "innocent until proven guilty" was a fine concept, the IRS
had largely run amok bullying people.

Judge: "What proof do you have that this deduction is not legitimate?"

IRS Agent: "Your honor, we said so!"

Judge: (Turning to defendant) GUILTY!

.