Re: Smoke two...

"Bart Goddard" <goddardbe@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Xns9A838963C3DD7goddardbenetscapenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm of a religious bent, and I can't think of any "rights"
that come from God. At least any secular ones that God
has said "You have a right to....". There are plenty of
"oughts", and I would use those "oughts" to derive
"rights",
but then "rights" remain a derivative, rather than "self-
evident."

Of a religious bent?
You?
I'd never have guessed....
;-)

All rights are derived from a basic position: for the
religious, it is the ultimate authority of deity X, for the
agnostic it lies in the nature of man.

Looking at the decalogue, one could derive rights from the
commandments. An injunction not to commit murder may, in
reverse, be deemed a right to life. The commandment not to
steal presupposes property rights. Indeed, the third
commandment might well be interpreted as a right to limited
working hours (trade unionists take note).

Elsewhere, a religious type might also derive and define
human rights from Genesis: having been made in His image and
expressly granted dominion over the Earth, this would
presumably include human rights.

And sure don't see how I get a right as an outgrowth of
sentience.

If you're not allowed to push your morality off on me,
then I declare that my morality says you owe me a living.

Tough. The "not allowed to push" works both ways, chum.

Not in my morality. My morality says I can push, but you
can't. Snaily available.

Now you're thinking of religious morality...
:-)

  • Re: Smoke two...
    ... You proposed that either the right comes from God, ... and coherence to a society's values and morality. ... "You have no rights that depend on the ... Is there an equivalent thing as a sin of omission in the atheist's ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: Bible Readings for today 4/4/008
    ... a nonsensical question. ... Of course the morality (assuming you intend that to mean "the created ... morality implanted as an ideal in the human race") of God is likely to ... which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: Jews and the Muhammud cartoons
    ... nature of one's duty is NOT moral in nature. ... but the only morality is the accuracy of the ... If God commanded it, ... in the discussion about and decision of how to approach the commandment. ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: CBOT Traders talk back the 39%
    ... "The market" determines morality now, ... than your tangent: The market determines morality. ... Even though God is quite clear about usury, ... If you believe in property rights. ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Text of Ahmadinejads letter to Bush
    ... Can one be a follower of Jesus Christ (PBUH), the great Messenger of God, ... But the war was not waged to topple him, ... human rights and liberal values. ...
    (soc.culture.singapore)