Re: OT:Way to go Al

"Alex W." <ingilt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:5ne3lkFhos1fU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Ken Dixon" <nsvmiami@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:NQgQi.3195$m8.2450@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Smokin' Travis wrote:

"Winston Castro" <at7000@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4711824c.95439118@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As to my own feelings on how much humans are
influencing this
warming trend, it's hard to say. The planet has also
undergone dozens,
if not hundreds, of these warming and cooling cycles
before. Way
before the industrial-revolution and modern humans and
such.

I can agree to this. As for global warming that is caused
by man... sigh. If I recall correctly the scientific was
crying the warnings from the rooftops (at least in
prestigious magazines like Newsweek) in the late 1970's
about... global cooling.

I too believe the planet is in a warming trend, to what
extent human activity has contributed I have no idea. Some
I'm sure.
I also remember those dire warnings of the coming ice age
(first read about it in the mid 60's), still waiting.

That's basically because of confusion over a misnomer.
"Global Warming" is a slogan, a handy peg for the media to
signal certain content to a readership with the general
attention span of a goldfish with ADD. Presumably, they
decided that to use three words instead of two by calling it
"Global Climate Change" would impose too much of a strain on
our cognitive capabilities.

Maybe your's, but I can handle three words at a time. I can. Really.

  • Re: Global Warming and what you can do to against it
    ... As you know global warming is endangering the future of life on the ... Geological findings indicate that the planet has undergone numerous ... The planetary climate has *always* been ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: An inconvenient Truth -- update
    ... global warming is indeed currently taking place. ... but saying that humans are /responsible/ ... ones disagree completely with this current global warming fad. ... Everyone's entitled to an opinion, ...
    (rec.bicycles.misc)
  • Re: Global Warming and what you can do to against it
    ... Global warming is a naturally occurring phenomenon - as is global cooling. ... Geological findings indicate that the planet has undergone numerous warming and cooling periods, some lasting hundreds of thousands of years, some only a few thousand. ... The planetary climate has *always* been in a constant state of flux, it's just that individual human beings don't live long enough to notice, and as a group, we've only been accumulating accurate data for a very short time. ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: OT: Well-Deserved Recognition
    ... "The Global warming the earth is experiencing is a cyclical thing caused by nature". ... Dr William Gray, a pioneer in the science of seasonal hurricane forecasts, told a packed lecture hall at the University of North Carolina that humans were not responsible for the warming of the earth. ... Dr Gray, whose annual forecasts of the number of tropical storms and hurricanes are widely publicised, said a natural cycle of ocean water temperatures - related to the amount of salt in ocean water - was responsible for the global warming that he acknowledges has taken place. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Atheists: Americas most distrusted minority
    ... There is no consensus on the CAUSE of global warming, ... Yes the planet is warming up, and there's a pretty good consensus ... role in climate change. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated)