Re: OT - About Intelligent Design

"Joe LaVigne" <jlavigne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1ac1wrdansvg1.dlg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 13:56:06 +0100, Johan Lindqvist wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 03:56:37 -0500, Joe LaVigne wrote:
> >
> >> Religion should be taught at home or at church.
> >>
> >> Besides, I don't want to convince a Catholic 8 year old that his
God
> >> doesn't exist. I don't even want to put that in his mind. It
isn't my
> >> place. Religion is personal.
> >
> > If by "taught" you mean "this is correct", then I agree. That's
not how I
> > want religion taught in school. But I do want "this is Hinduism,
this is
> > what they beleive. This is Christianity, this is what they belive.
etc".
> > Divide Christianity into multiple subsets if you like. Probably
should do
> > that with Islam as well.
>
> The problem is all Public Education is drivin by political forces.
Once
> you open the door to the information, you open the door to personal
> interpretation by instructors, or by the "system".

But in your country, the "system" is determinedly secular; to some
quite ridiculous extremes, in fact.

Don't forget, either, that private education is even more driven by
political, religious or ideological forces -- and it is far less
accountable than a state school. If you get enough self-selecting
parents with the cash to spare, you could open a school in
Poughkeepsie teaching a Taleban-approved syllabus and no-one would be
able to supervise, let alone stop them.

> Public Schools are an indoctrination system. See Tobacco lessons
for an
> easy indicator. Instead of juts telling kids what tobacco can do,
the
> schools are telling kids that they should go home and confront their
> parents, because their parents are killing them.
>
> How long do you think it would take for the same to happen with
religion?

Public schools have two control mechanisms:
- first, management and supervision by a state bureaucracy largely
disinterested in partisan motivations and mandated to achieve certain
educational goals required for the wellbeing of the whole body
politic; IOW, you get civil servants trying to make sure that their
charges are released into the wild with a bare minimum of knowledge to
function in a modern economy.

- and secondly, a heterogenous and non-self-selecting student body;
IOW, liberal and conservative parents keeping each other in check over
ideological differences, and children exposed to other cultures and
beliefs.

  • Re: Convert from Islam to Christianity killed
    ... religious position in a high school venue. ... arithmetic and into more religion and religious discussion. ... that our students don't score close to the bottom when compared to other ... Not at the expense of true education - the ability to think critically. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: GOD - 30 Syllogisms
    ... There is still no reason for government to interfere ... Parents who do not like what taxpayers ... >> it is NO religion, ... available in each school. ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Re: Convert from Islam to Christianity killed
    ... religious position in a high school venue. ... arithmetic and into more religion and religious discussion. ... that our students don't score close to the bottom when compared to other ... into a closet...and that the publicans with their public prayers had already ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: The Protestant church is not worthy of the name "church"
    ... Put yourself in those parents' position. ... I've not been present for a school trip so do not know whether they ... Is attachment to either as an idol potentially ... parents keep their children in schools that accommodate their religion. ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: Convert from Islam to Christianity killed
    ... the message that caused the court to rule in the way they did. ... Milford Central School) had a decidedly different outcome in spite of ... because of his or her religion, the law steps in, and indeed the ... public prayer is not banned but in certain venues supported by ...
    (soc.retirement)