Re: Mending clothes by hand: cooking by hand too!

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Kate XXXXXX" <kate@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:O86dnVsdFqcMCZDVnZ2dnUVZ8taknZ2d@xxxxxxxxxx

Lamb legs and shoulders and beef can be had bone in or out.

I wondered why I didn't know that then remembered that we buy whole sheep at a time and burcher them ourselves. A daughter has an organic farm, we pay her more than she'd get from the abbatoir but far less than a butcher's price. We have to use every part of the animal which is interesting.

This is where a good haggis recipe comes in handy. If I was buying a whole sheep, I'd be making haggis and mutton hams...

We also buy half a cow forom her but she doesn't rear pigs so we buy a whole pig from a local organic farm and butcher to our needs. Lots of sausages :-)

Yum! I could make mine both fat free and gluten free! That said, there's a butcher round here that will do a 10lb batch of gluten free sausages for me if I want them. I'm thinking of going halves with a coeliac friend.

I like boiled ham, so if we have that, I save the cooking liquid and some of the meat for ham & green pea soup. This is the one my son said was so thick it needed hammering flat to fit in ther bowls!

If we want ham we do it ourselves but mostly we prefer not to have such salty food.

I only do it occasionally, but ham is one of my favourite things!

I admire your use of bones, we're thought of as weird because we waste nothing! The bones, when finally finished, are either used to make needles or shuttles or ear scoop/tweezers or they go to the little dog up the street.

Do you sell your bone needles? There would be quite a market for them and other bone items with the re-enactors. I have a cow bone point turner that is a joy to use: feels much better than the old p0lastic one that broke! And the Vikings made bone spoons and nit combs!

Children today never seem to have heard of stone soup :-)

Nor that cabbage stalks are for more than compost!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

  • Re: Fresh bone in Ham
    ... then gets recycled to Hopping John for New Years along with the pork scraps. ... I like bacon, but I cook it mostly for the bacon fat. ... The fresh ham came out wonderful even though Don ran late so was cooked at a higher temp than normal. ... this one has the main bone but we saved plenty of other goodies for the New Years actual hoppin' john. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: REC: Split Pea Soup
    ... We like to add a ham bone to this. ... Toss in split peas, a few litres ... Remove the ham hock. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: My split soup
    ... that when I get it at the restaurants, not sure what I am missing in my ... this is my recipe in a crock pot ... after 8hrs I remove the ham hock and take the meat off the bone, ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: honey baked ham
    ... No deli (or butcher) is going to slice a bone in cured ham for free, ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: This past Sunday...
    ... I always drop a ham bone in while cooking, ... I forgot about the onion. ... Then pour the bacon grease over the salad and serve. ...
    (rec.motorcycles.harley)