Re: Mending clothes by hand

"The Wanderer" <the.wanderer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:q63afp4c57v8.nvi5t43t4th2.dlg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 21 Apr 2008 02:42:03 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:09:56 -0400, Red <red@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

How hard is it to learn how to sew by hand? I want to mend some of my
work clothes without bying a sewing machine.

Not hard.

I'll second that, but it does help to get decent needles matched to what
you're trying to do/sew.

Agreed.

Don't be tempted to pull off loooong lengths of thread, it'll knot and
tangle and you'll very quickly lose patience!

That's the best piece of advice, most beginners (and some more experienced!)
think that it will same time if they use a long length of thread. My rule
when teaching is never more than 18".

I only sew by hand and thoroughly enjoy it, machine sewing is boring as well
as noisy!

Cue for members to claim they have silent machines :-)

Mary

--
Richard - The older I get, the better I used to be!

the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

  • Re: Help with buying a machine
    ... you need to sit down and sew ... A sewing machine is like a car, ... For quilting and sewing big things like curtains, ... straight stitch and does basically nothing else. ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: What sewing machine should I buy?
    ... Check out your local sewing machine shop and see what they have available used. ... I used to sew and design costumes and clothing in college (28 years ago - ... I also want to roll hem silk -- I am a silk ... Of paramount importance are the dealers and the expertise of their technicians whether you are buying a new or used machine regardless of brand. ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.sewing)
  • Re: New Sewing Machine
    ... Bought a new sewing machine today in Port Of Spain, ... try to sew 4 layers. ... the Canadian machine was superior in that it had all metal gears ...
    (rec.boats.cruising)
  • Re: A sexist request. (Was "Re: Seamstress(es) needed")
    ... >>>That doesn't work if you aren't using the machine to sew. ... A sewing machine doesn’t replace occasional hand-sewing at hard & ... >> It is kind of like that I always eat with a knife & fork, ... Mi deziras nur vivi en liberaj societoj kaj nur en liberaj societoj. ...
    (rec.org.sca)
  • Re: "Paint blemished" White sewing machines
    ... I bought my Janome Gold- gently used- for $150 from my Janome dealer. ... Sew far, sew good!! ... I called it the sewing machine from He**. ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)