Re: sewing machine adjustment question

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 06:41:36 GMT, Ivan Vegvary <ivan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sometimes I get a good looking row of stitches on top but on the bottom of
the fabric is an unruly mess. What causes this. BTW, I have an old (1921)
Singer with a walking foot. Fabric is vinyl.

Loops on the bottom: top tension is too loose or you threaded with the
presser foot down so the tension disks didn't open to receive the thread.
Or tension has something stuck in it and needs cleaning.
OR thread is way too heavy for the size of needle you're using.

Loops on the top:
Bobbin tension too loose or bobbin tension needs cleaning

Snarls at beginning of seam: you forgot to hold the threads behind the
presser foot while starting.

  • Pilot Classic Binding Tension Adjustment
    ... My question is about the tension adjustment on the newer Pilot classic ... I like the way they feel on snow; no more pinched toe feeling from ... your foot slamming into the bumper every stride, ... roll off the ball of the foot kind of kick. ...
    (rec.skiing.nordic)
  • Re: Need help with FM quilting
    ... matter how I adjust tension I end up with too loose on the bottom. ... if the top thread is hanging in little loops on the back of the ... quilt, while the bobbin thread is just sitting there, it sounds to me as ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: some questions about quilting
    ... Doesn't your machine have a default stitch length when you turn it on? ... you don't see little loops of the other color on each side. ... appear on the bottom, tighten top tension. ... I still have about that many small loads to go before I have ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: A friendly reminder
    ... suspect that with the new electronic machines, ... If the foot is up, ... knob till Tucson freezes and it won't change the tension a bit. ... --Carolyn McCarty ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: sewing machine adjustment question
    ... I am trying to sew a welt into a seam. ... BTW if I simply place 5-6 layers on top of each other the ... I will check my upper tension. ... I am using a welting foot and the presser foot is down. ...
    (alt.sewing)