Re: How useful is a serger

Moanna wrote:

I recently bought a Singer Quantum to replace the Singer I bought when
I graduated from high school in 1968. While I was in the store
learning to use the new stitches, another woman was getting a lesson on
a serger. This is something I've always thought only professionals
used. Now I want a serger. But do I need one? I sew a little, maybe
once a month. I make non-tailored clothing, drapes, curtains, quilts,
pillows, baby clothes. I use the overcast stitch to finish the fabric
edges. Are there uses for a serger beyond finishing edges (assuming
that's the primary purpose)? I woulda asked the sales person except I
was afraid she'd sell me one before I had time to justify the
extravagance. It just looked like fun. So I'm asking, is it a toy or
more? Thanks...

Well get one! :) I know LOTS of folk who have sergers (especially on this list) who are NOT professional stitchers. If you make baby stuff, they are almost essential! ;) Great for fast, secure, FINE comfortable seams! They do a LOT more than just neatening edges, though I use mine for that too. Do pop over to my web site and see what I get up to. I DO sew professionally, and find the serger *so* essential that I have two!

Definitely NOT a toy! :)

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

  • Re: How useful is a serger
    ... learning to use the new stitches, another woman was getting a lesson on ... This is something I've always thought only professionals ... Now I want a serger. ... I know there is a "big box" fabric store near me which gives serger lessons BEFORE you buy one. ...
    (alt.sewing)
  • Re: Bakers Dozen!
    ... I shall take some today and get them into the sewing gallery. ... The FW sits on the floor between a set of bins and a set of rolling baskets, with the older Lotus on top. ... Serge the serger sits on the serger bench, and the Toyota serger usually lives in the carrying case on the old sewing box. ... Unfortunately it has no trade-in value and if I *did* manage to trade it in, they would skip it as it's not saleable (unlike a 400 series Singer with the same cam arrangement and much more attractive deco stitches, and better household stitches!). ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: serger
    ... I am looking for info about a serger that will make these ... since I can't upload pics here go to: ... for pics of the stitches. ... used as a decorative stitches by making the cover part show on ...
    (alt.sewing)
  • Re: How useful is a serger
    ... learning to use the new stitches, another woman was getting a lesson on ... Now I want a serger. ... could sew a whole wardrobe of children's clothing in record time. ... A totally professional appearance of garment construction, ...
    (alt.sewing)