Re: projects in progress

In article <e8jjrb$9j6$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
ilaine@xxxxxxxxx (Liz S. Reynolds) wrote:

In article <44ad40f1$0$18591$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Olwyn Mary <Olwynmary@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Liz S. Reynolds wrote:

I've learned a couple of things from my foray into pattern drafting. The
first is that despite being very tall, my waist is practically in my
armpits, and the second is that my <ahem> bust points are further apart
than Vogue places them. So, I've shortened an inch from above the waist
(but didn't bother lengthening at the bottom, perhaps I should) and moved
the front darts each a half-inch towards the side seam. I'm really looking
forward to trying it on and seeing the improvement!

Pattern drafting software!!! (I requested mine for a combined
birthday/wedding anniv. present about three years ago, and I swear by it
rather than at it).

One of these days I'll give it a try. Right now I'm really enjoying doing
it the old fashioned way. Cut myself a master pattern out of cardboard and
am having a blast slashing/spreading and moving bits around. I don't know
if doing it on the computer would have quite the same amusement value :)

Good for you. :) It's not as difficult as most people think.

One really good use I can see for pattern software is the manipulation
of existing designs from the many pattern companies. Otherwise, you're
reinventing a lot of wheels. Giving me a quick way to make that latest
Montana suit or that 1942 vintage pattern fit my very non-standard
figure would be fabulous. But I know of no pattern software that can do
that. No patterns are yet digitized--- sold on CD instead of or in
addition to paper. Moreover, when you want to print a pattern you have
to tape lots of separate sheets together or take your CD to a print shop
since there is yet to be a home device for doing that to scale. I'm
still waiting for someone to explain the advantage to me or the time
savings. I just don't see it unless you're doing totally original and
complicated designs from scratch.... end even then, I have my doubts
given the current technology.

Phae

--
I fear me you but warm the starved snake
Who, cherished in your breasts, will sting your hearts. (Henry VI,Shakespeare)

  • Re: Ill be offline for a while...
    ... BEI Design wrote: ... what's the point of pattern software if you can't edit ... I learned that the edited pattern has to be ...
    (alt.sewing)
  • Re: projects in progress
    ... Phae, you can pretty much copy any design with the Wild Ginger software, at least. ... Third, any design--literally, ANY design--can be created from the basic patterns by taking them into the auxiliary CAD program called Pattern Editor that is included in all the Wild Ginger programs. ... when you want to print a pattern you have to tape lots of separate sheets together or take your CD to a print shop since there is yet to be a home device for doing that to scale. ... I just don't see it unless you're doing totally original and complicated designs from scratch.... ...
    (alt.sewing)
  • How do I print 3" tall numbers?
    ... I am trying to print 3" numbers to use as a pattern for some decal work I ... to Publisher, Word or Print Shop. ...