Re: MY FABRIC ARRIVED.

Karen Maslowski wrote:
The problem is that this crap fabric (pardon my slang) isn't even pretty. I was horrified when discussing fabrics with a clerk at our local Hancock's a few months ago. As usual, I was airing my feelings in regard to how shoddy and flat-out ugly the fabrics were. She got all defensive, and pointing to a truly horrible, sleazy piece of fabric, proceeded to tell me how she'd recently made a dress of it! Honestly, this was something so synthetic that she might as well have made it from plastic dime-store curtains from the '50s. Just because it was under $3 a yard doesn't mean it's acceptable to wear. Ugh.

And the next problem (or perhaps the earlier one?) is that nowadays very few people know good fabric when they see it or feel it. They are so accustomed to buying cheap clothes made from equally cheap fabric in offshore sweatshops that they consider this the norm.

Talking about recognising fabric - mea culpa. I realised yesterday when stroking my new stuff again that the piece I at first thought was a lightweight boiled wool is actually a really luscious wool flannel. Oh well, after living in the Sticky South for twenty years now, one forgets. It won't change the use, it is still destined for an outfit to wear on the few really cold days we get here.

I was going through it to decide how to treat it all. The cottons will be washed as usual, the rayons gently, the silks very gently, and the wools hand-washed (in the machine). I also took the good thread off my sewing machine and dug out lots of odds and ends of old stuff to use for stitching all those edges. With the price of good thread these days, no point wasting it, and may as well use up the leftovers.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

  • Re: 9 Bills That Would Put Creationism in the Classroom
    ... It's not clear whether they meant wool and linen only or whether it's ... linen together would produce a lot of static electricity drain. ... Let someone say "blending fabrics, ... Those are three possible interpretations of that verse. ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Source for thick decorative felt
    ... science teachers were doing electricity charge/discharge experiments with silk and wool long before there synthetics. ... I would be more inclined to worry about moisture buildup with any fabrics. ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.sewing)
  • Re: WOW... I didnt think a jacket could be so expensive
    ... Both down and wool are used in clothing. ... Tight yarn of slightly greasy wool inhibits water wicking in the yarn, but in knitted fabric doesn't prevent water from passing through the weave. ... I prefer simple plastic coated fabrics -- cheap & durable and skip the vents. ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: Sponging Wool?
    ... The wool has to be sheared from the sheep, then carded to remove the bits of vegetation and separated into levels of quality. ... In addition, the wool has to be dyed; this process does not occur in synthetics, as the color for synthetic fabric is added before the fibers are created (except in printed fabrics). ... Fold material inhalf lengthwise, ... Make a sponging cloth at least 40 in. ...
    (alt.sewing)
  • Re: Home from Houston -- long
    ... No fabric, other than the wool. ... indigenous fabrics -- one of a kookaburra and the other of an adorable ... There were three of us who stayed on the plane. ... Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)