Re: Do most DVR's hand both IP & Analog cameras?

Roland Moore wrote:
For the most part a 4 port DVR means 4 BNC type analog camera inputs. Some
really low end units might have use RJ-45 or RJ-11 connections instead of
BNC for "kit" units with their own cameras.

This is correct - IP cameras *by definition* communicate over a network and *do not* require multiple ports on a DVR, or any camera-specific ports, for that matter. Plug the cameras and DVR into the same network switch, hub or router, and you're good to go. When ad copy and specs refer to "ports" on a DVR, you can be 99.999% certain they're referring to analog video ports, whether they be standard BNC or RCA connectors, or quasi-proprietary RJ-11 or RJ-45 connections that also provide power and/or audio connections to the cameras.

However traditional DVRs in general and especially the kit types are
> rapidly becoming as old school as a VCR.

I'd say they're more becoming the "lowest common denominator" that VCR-based systems used to be. IP cameras still tend to be substantially more expensive than their analog counterparts, all other specs being equal, and as such aren't as common just yet.

Most all IP cameras support PoE. You do have to double check the power
availability on the switch you select to match the camera load.

In theory, if camera and switch both comply with PoE spec, there shouldn't be loading issues, as the camera spec should not allowed it to draw more current than the power provision spec tells the switch it should be able to supply.

More to the point, however, is that most existing switches simply do not support PoE - it does add a fair bit to the cost, and unless one was planning a network specifically for PoE capacity, one would likely not spec and install switches that support it.

In this case, there are "injector" boxes available that can be plugged inline with a network connection to put PoE on the line.

In the mega pixel camera market most all cameras are IP based.

Megapixel cameras just about HAVE to be IP-based, as composite video doesn't provide the resolution for it. You could have a camera with a megapixel sensor that scales down to composite video, I suppose, but that would kinda defeat the point of using a MP sensor. (And yes, I know some MP cameras do have a composite output on them, but they're primarily IP camears, and that port is intended to be used for setup only).

Most DVR units, even hybrids, aren't made with enough IP through put
> or retention capacity for more than one or two IP mega pixel cameras.

Depends somewhat on the camera resolution, framerate, etc. The one manufacturer I'm most familiar with, IQ Invision, make cameras covering the full 1.3MP to 5MP range. Most of these can be configured output video at a pre-set maximum framerate, to minimize network traffic and storage requirements, and as with analog capture systems, compression levels can also be adjusted for appropriate size-vs.-quality concerns.
.