Re: Can security experts break an ADT alarm system

"J. @netscape.net>" <jsloud2001<removeme> wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 19:58:07 -0700, "Brent" <Brent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Can security experts break anybodys door alarm system by reprogramming it
and making the system useless or control it remotely ?

Is it normal for the door alarm panel not to ask for code, when "stay" is
pressed. The manual says it will ask for the code when "Stay" is pressed.

It's far more likely that a thief would attempt to disable the system
locally than try to hack it remotely. ADT uses a special version of
the remote DLL software used to remotely program alarm panels.
Occassionaly you'll see someone here ask for a copy and be told that
there aren't any. AFAIK, there aren't any copies floating around out
there and you can't reprogram an ADT panel remotely without it. I
would be much more concerned with the possibility that the link to the
monitoring center could be compromised. That's why the most secure
systems like those that protect government secrets and bank vaults
typically use some type of line security; a feature typically not
found on run-of-the-mill alarm systems.

What is a line security. You need to elaborate on it for security novices
like me.

At a minimum, you should at
least use some type of wireless communications device as a
communications back-up.

I do have a cell backup up package and how difficult is it for sophisticated
thieves with lot of secuirty systems expertise to break it like our friend
rosalnathan speculated yesterday.

  • Re: Can security experts break an ADT alarm system
    ... Is it normal for the door alarm panel not to ask for code, ... the remote DLL software used to remotely program alarm panels. ...
    (alt.security.alarms)
  • Re: Can security experts break an ADT alarm system
    ... and making the system useless or control it remotely? ... Is it normal for the door alarm panel not to ask for code, ... the remote DLL software used to remotely program alarm panels. ... If the same program is used for every adt panel then it will be relatively ...
    (alt.security.alarms)
  • Re: Can security experts break an ADT alarm system
    ... Is it normal for the door alarm panel not to ask for code, ... the remote DLL software used to remotely program alarm panels. ... there and you can't reprogram an ADT panel remotely without it. ...
    (alt.security.alarms)
  • Re: remote control program
    ... The security of the interface has nothing to do with SSL. ... the security of your online banking technology also has nothing to do with SSL. ... If the technology was not properly assessed by a qualified security team then I wouldn't trust it. ... for remote work to the same location who complains about jitter and delay ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: remote control program
    ... consider that you meant back-end security measures when I responded; ... I've never seen a vulnerability reported on them anywhere, ... To get in to the application one does not need credentials, ... when you attempt a remote session. ...
    (Security-Basics)