Newbie questions

Hi,

I am thinking of installing a burglar alarm system in my home and
have a few questions after I looked at product descriptions of some
available systems online:

(1) Is it really worthwhile to order the monitoring service together
with the security system? I mean, most really depend on phone line to
call up the monitoring company for the alarm. Aren't most burglars
smart enough to cut the phone line before they enter the house? There
are some that provide cell phone dial up, but I wonder if that's really
worth the trouble.

(2) Without the monitoring service, how effective is the alarm siren.
Isn't it relatively easy for the burglar to take the battery out of the
controller and the siren will stop shortly?

Thanks in advance.

  • Re: Newbie questions
    ... Monitoring has several benefits... ... Someone hears burglar break in when alarm is off- ... As far as phone lines are concerned- Yes, most burglar are smart enough to ... the sirens in a properly engineered system, ...
    (alt.security.alarms)
  • Re: Alarm Farce...
    ... instance where one of their installations failed during a real ... Its about unsupervised wireless, sketchy coverage and ... No, my point was, we all know that once an alarm is in place, ... as any alarm does to "catch" the burglar. ...
    (alt.security.alarms)
  • Re: Newbie questions
    ... Monitoring has several benefits... ... Someone hears burglar break in when alarm is off- ... As far as phone lines are concerned- Yes, most burglar are smart enough to ... sirens in a properly engineered system, ...
    (alt.security.alarms)
  • Re: Value of IDS, ROI
    ... I was not implying that an IDS/IPS could function as a burglar alarm. ... I was not implying that the people monitoring your IDS should be ... Re: Value of IDS, ROI ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: How much of a deterrent is a non-ADT/Brinks home security system?
    ... monitored by a company like Next Alarm. ... effectiveness at deterring potential burglars. ... We were about to sign a three-year contract tomorrow with ADT, ... burglar you have a system so he knows in advance to cut wires take ...
    (alt.security.alarms)