Re: Self renewing contracts?

Here's the Deal in New York
NY CLS Gen Oblig § 5-903 (2004)

§ 5-903. Automatic renewal provision of contract for service,
maintenance or repair unenforceable by contractor unless notice
thereof given to recipient of services

1. As used in this section, "person" means an individual, firm,
company, partnership or corporation.

2. No provision of a contract for service, maintenance or repair to
or for any real or personal property which states that the term of
the contract shall be deemed renewed for a specified additional
period unless the person receiving the service, maintenance or repair
gives notice to the person furnishing such contract service,
maintenance or repair of his intention to terminate the contract at
the expiration of such term, shall be enforceable against the person
receiving the service, maintenance or repair, unless the person
furnishing the service, maintenance or repair, at least fifteen days and not more than thirty days previous to the time specified for
serving such notice upon him, shall give to the person receiving the
service, maintenance or repair written notice, served personally or
by certified mail, calling the attention of that person to the
existence of such provision in the contract.

3. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to apply to a contract
in which the automatic renewal period specified is one month or less.
 ould be on firmer ground claiming that the initial contract
automatically renewed. However, the subscriber might successfully
defend by claiming the by sending out the proposed new contract which
never got signed, that the old contract ended and that the
relationship continued without any written contract, therefore
terminable at will. It would probably be a better practice to decide
whether you want to rely on the renewal clause or a new contract, not
both.

Automatic Renewal Provision

Why is there such a problem with this topic? Alarm contracts have
automatic renewal clauses in them. Some contracts are for an initial
term of 3 to 5 years, some 10 or more. The renewal can be for 1 year,
5 years, or whatever you make it.

An automatic renewal clause should and will be enforced (its legal)
unless:

1. there is a statute that prohibits it

2. there is legal case law that refuses to enforce it (usually on the
grounds that the particular provision is unconscionable [shocks the
conscience of the court).

I am not aware of a Federal law that deals with the automatic renewal
clause (if you know of one let me know the statute). Some states do
have statutes that deal with the issue. In New York for example an
automatic renewal clause is not enforceable unless the provider of
the service (the alarm company) sends a separate notice advising the
customer of the provision. The notice has to be sent by certified
mail or personally delivered between 15 and 30 days prior to the
renewal date. Failure to give the notice renders the automatic
renewal provision unenforceable.

Check the statutes in your state to find out if there is a similar
provision that you must comply with.

If there is no state law provision then you only need to be concerned
that your contract term does not run afoul of common sense or
decency. A 5 year initial term with a 10 year renewal written in
obscure print buried in the contract may not be enforced. I think you
get the idea. The standardized contracts that I offer to the trade
are 5 year initial term and 5 year renewal. We have not had
difficulty with those terms. We have also had success with 10 year
initial term contracts with 5 year renewals.

For a list of the standardized contracts see our web site at

Some alarm companies have a policy of sending out new contracts
rather than relying on their renewal provision. Unless the new
contract is for an extended period and the renewal is for a shorter
period, like one year, I don’t see the wisdom in going to the trouble
of preparing and sending a new contract. If you are required to send
a notice of the automatic renewal you should comply with that; after
all, the new contract may not get signed and returned.

Another little mistake I think some companies make is to send out a
new contract and call it a renewal contract. The phrase "renewal
contract" has caused many different types of problems in litigation.
One thing you need to be mindful of is that the contract, now labeled
a "renewal contract" may have several provisions in it that have
triggering events that will not be taking place with the renewal
contract, such as an installation of equipment, or a provision that
says the contract is for 5 years after the installation of equipment.
In a renewal situation that provision can cause the subscriber to
claim that the equipment was installed long time ago when the first
contract was signed and therefore the 5 years ran before the renewal
contract was even signed, thereby permitting the subscriber to cancel
anytime; not a position you need to litigate and one you can easily
avoid by knowing what is in your contract.

If your contract has an automatic renewal provision in it then I
suggest you rely on it. If you want to have a new contract signed
during the term of an existing contract that is fine. You should
probably offer some incentive for a subscriber to sign a new
contract, such as a free inspection, free piece of equipment, an
upgrade in equipment or a rate freeze or decrease. Giving something
for the new contract will help establish your consideration and avoid
an issue that the subscriber was duped into signing a new long term
contract. Let a sense of fairness be your guide.

Many Thanks to Ken Kirschenbaum @www.alarmcontracts.com for the Above Info

thesatguy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I can auto renew provided the renewal term is specified in the
contract and is not limited by other state laws.  In some states it
can only renew for one year and in some states you must notify the
customer just before the automatic renewal takes effect.

Tell the customer to send a certified letter to p1 requesting a copy
of her contract - they have to provide it cause thats the law in
every state - and when you get it check to see if it is actually a
valid contract.  If they fail to provide a copy of the contract send
another letter telling them any agreement is cancelled effective
immediately.

Now, it may be that the contract they have is not even a contract the
 customer signed; it may be a contract somebody else signed and then
they moved into the house and assumed it.  Its not even valid in that
case.

If the customer signed it and they only lease the property its not
any good as the actual property owner would have to also sign and
agree to it.  If its a rental property the contract is pretty much
worthless.

The contract may not even have an automatic renewal clause in it

If the monthly rate increases you always have the right to cancel at
that time and not pay any increased rate of course the company could
then decide not to increase your rate and you couldn't cancel.

You may get lucky and discover nobody representing the company ever
signed the contract or that the contract cannot be transferred to p1
from whomever installed the original system.

In many contracts if some fatal happens to the system and you choose
not to invest the money to replace it the contract will terminate at
that point.

<paulctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:nv31i1d1veormmtml81ss2841tntapqk0i@xxxxxxxxxx

Are these legal for monitoring? I have a potential customer that
has monitored with pro1 for 7 years. She tried to cancel and they
told her she would have to wait till next July because her 3 year contract had self renewed.

I live in SC. Any comments?

  • Re: Update A Field from another field in an open table
    ... I maintain 4 different tables keeping track of contract numbers and related ... Amendments, Supplements, Extensions and Renewals. ... that is why I thought that an update calculation to the main table woud ... calculated field in a Query or in the control source of a Form or a Report ...
    (microsoft.public.access.forms)
  • Re: Calculating Date
    ... I have a query that pulls information on contracts that run in annual ... Each record for each contract has a "renewal_date" and based on this ... Well, if renewals are due, let's say on March 25, and are renewed ... have the query prompt for the wanted month and date. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.queries)
  • Re: Formula in report field too long
    ... I do have the one to many relationship with the client and the contract ... I run a report for the sales team each every other month ... renewals to include the other six months it is too long to go in the ...
    (microsoft.public.access.reports)
  • Re: Multiple contract dates
    ... >I am creating a database to track our vendors. ... Each vendor has a contract ... Vendors; ... your Renewals table would have fields for the VendorID (or the ...
  • Re: Lowes window installation experience
    ... ...which is legally binding in the state of New York. ... Contract doesn't say anything. ... Interior window trim in an old Colonial is wood built into plaster ... localized repair to fix/repair windows and door trims. ...
    (alt.home.repair)