Italian Left does about face - now supports Israel in wake of Iran threat
- From: "Mohammed eats SHIT!" <bustedfrance@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: 25 Nov 2005 06:56:06 -0800
Rome, 24 Nov. (AKI) - The Italian political left - long accused by its
critics of at best, lacking objectivity by espousing the Palestinian
cause against Israel, or, at worst, being blatantly anti-Semitic - is
in the throes of revaluating its stance on the Jewish state. For many a
demonstration earlier this month at the Iranian embassy in Rome
organised by the right-wing Rome daily, Il Foglio, signalled a turning
point. The protest came in the wake of remarks made by Iran's new
president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who, speaking at a anti-Zionism
coneference in Tehran, called for Israel to be wiped off the map.
Fassino suggested that in the past the left, not just in Italy, but
also elsewhere in Europe, may have been guilty of "cultural relativism"
when approaching the conflict in the Middle East - an attitude that led
to the condemnation of Israel's occupation of Palestinian territory,
but tolerance of some of the autocractic practices of its Arab
- Prev by Date: Re: Dog At Shia Shrine: Sign of Coming Messiah
- Next by Date: Re: SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL ON ISLAM
- Previous by thread: EU accuses Iran, warns of sanctions
- Next by thread: Legitimate Criticism of Islam: What Does It Mean?