Re: Advent of Religion
- From: Cuthbert Thistlethwaite <nosillygods@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 01:21:23 GMT
> Dear All
> Religion in this sense came about at an early stage in human
> development when man was still ignorant of the, how and why of the
> working of the universe or the threatening forces of nature lightning,
> clouds, floods, fire,* disease, etc. and quite unable to hold his own
> against them.
No, I doubt religion preceded the mastery of fire. Fire, sexual
relations including homosexuality, weapons, and group co-operation
including war, hunting, and the home camp, all probably preceded
> In that stage man trembled at the sight of everything
> more powerful than himself and in trying to appease it, made obeisance
> in complete surrender and submission.
Eventually, the humans investigated and sought to understand things.
The more that things have been understood, the less need there is for
religion to appease the inexplicable.
Mankind would be just about finished with any religion by now, 2005,
except for a rich and powerful religious establishment keeping things
going for their own obvious purposes.
- Prev by Date: Re: U.S. denies visa to top Iran official
- Next by Date: Re: Trickle down. (was: Rebuilding New Orleans a waste of money, 'could be bulldozed')
- Previous by thread: are there any muslims of the nation of islam 2 b friends with
- Next by thread: Re: UK Mosque Goers to Double Church Attendance: Study