Michael Graham fired - CAIR 1, Truth 0

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45887

Talk-show host fired for linking Islam, terror
Michael Graham refused retract demand by CAIR, ABC's WMAL
in Washington
9:21 p.m. Eastern
By Joseph Farah
© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Michael Graham

WASHINGTON - Michael Graham, the Washington, D.C., talk-show
host suspended for linking Islam and terrorism, has been fired by
ABC Radio following weeks of pressure applied by the Council on
American-Islamic Relations, a group with its own well-documented
connections to terrorism.

Graham was the popular mid-morning host on WMAL in the nation's
capital until three weeks ago when CAIR demanded he be punished
for his on-air statements about Islam. After initially backing the host,
WMAL suspended him without pay July 28.

"CAIR immediately announced that my punishment was insufficient
and demanded I be fired," Graham said in a statement to WND.
"ABC Radio and 630 WMAL have now complied. I have now been
fired for making the specific comments CAIR deemed 'offensive,'
and for refusing to retract those statements in a
management-mandated, on-air apology. ABC Radio further
demanded that I agree to perform what they described as
'additional outreach efforts' to those people or groups who felt
offended. I refused. And for that refusal, I have been fired."

(...)

Graham is furious that CAIR is now able to exert this kind of influence
in the U.S. media.

"It appears that ABC Radio has caved to an organization that
condemns talk radio hosts like me, but has never condemned Hamas,
Hezbollah, and one that wouldn't specifically condemn al-Qaida for
three months after 9-11," he said. "As a fan of talk radio, I find it
absolutely outrageous that pressure from a special interest group
like CAIR can result in the abandonment of free speech and open
discourse on a talk radio show. As a conservative talk host whose
job is to have an open, honest conversation each day with my
listeners, I believe caving to this pressure is a disaster."

Graham said he couldn't accept the idea of apologizing "for the
truth and I cannot agree to some community-service style 'outreach
effort' to appease the opponents of free speech."

"If I had made a racist or bigoted comment - which my regular
listeners know goes against everything I believe in - I would
apologize immediately, and without coercion," he said. "When I
have made inadvertent fact errors in the past, I apologized
promptly and without hesitation. But we have now gone far beyond
that, with demands that I apologize for the ideas my listeners and
I believe in."

(...)

Graham was backed by supporters from coast to coast after his
suspension.

"It is not a coincidence that, after my suspension July 28, WMAL
received more than 15,000 phone calls and emails protesting my
removal from the airwaves," he said. "Why such a huge response?
It wasn't about me. The listeners I spoke to said they felt betrayed
by my suspension because the vast majority of them agree with me
on the subject of Islam. By labeling my statements as unacceptable,
these listeners felt that WMAL management was insulting them,
too."

Graham said he could not dishonors his listeners and other
Americans who agree with him by apologizing or retracting the
truth.

(...)

"The decision to give CAIR what it wants - a group with well-publicized
ties to terrorists and terror-related organizations -- will make it harder
for the reformers to successfully face Islam's challenges," said Graham.
"Still worse, silencing people like me will make it easier for Islamist
extremists to dismiss all sincere calls for reform as mere 'bigotry.'"

(...)

"When CAIR is able to quell dissent and label every critic a 'bigot,' the
chilling effect is felt far beyond ABC Radio and 630 WMAL," said
Graham. "If anyone is owed an apology, it is the moderate, Muslim
community who have been failed once again by the mainstream
media."

Well, folks, they got Michael Graham. Graham refuses to grovel,
Disney caves, and CAIR wins. Mr. Hooper must be celebrating
today.

  • Are the Boy Scouts Terrorists?
    ... "If the Boy Scouts of America had 1,000 scout troops, and 10 of them ... Graham is furious that CAIR is now able to exert this kind of influence ... fatwa against terrorism issued by a group of U.S. Muslim scholars. ...
    (talk.religion.bahai)
  • Re: Michael Graham fired - CAIR 1, Truth 0
    ... >>Michael Graham refused retract demand by CAIR, ... >>host suspended for linking Islam and terrorism, ... >>"ABC Radio and 630 WMAL have now complied. ...
    (alt.religion.islam)
  • Re: Michael Graham fired - CAIR 1, Truth 0
    ... >Michael Graham refused retract demand by CAIR, ... >host suspended for linking Islam and terrorism, ... "If anyone is owed an apology, it is the moderate, Muslim ...
    (alt.religion.islam)
  • Re: ABC Disney Gives in to CAIR
    ... > ABC Disney Gives in to CAIR ... > suspended without pay today by ABC Disney after threats ... > people's attention," Graham said. ... > Muslim scholars were issuing a fatwa against terrorism. ...
    (alt.religion.islam)
  • Re: ABC Disney Gives in to CAIR
    ... >> ABC Disney Gives in to CAIR ... >> Graham has been harshly criticized by CAIR for public ... >> Muslim scholars were issuing a fatwa against terrorism. ...
    (alt.religion.islam)